Monday, July 7, 2008

Sand Garden

Our Whidbey Island Cabin is on a sand spit with the bay on one side and a lagoon on the other. The logoon, in the back yard, provides many opportunities for bird watching fall through spring. In summer a high enough tide allows for canoe rides. Tom's extended family has owned this property for about forty years. Three years ago we replaced the little old original cabin with a modern beach house. That provided me with the opportunity to design a new garden, one that would have to grow in soil composed mostly of sand. It was great fun to plan something new from scratch. We combined plants with low water needs with free stuff we could divide from our Seattle garden, keeping in mind that we wanted more of a "beach" look. We brought in some compost that we made in our compost bins in town, so seeds sprouted, adding an element of surprise to what was planned. Fox gloves amazingly appeared on their own, and were transplanted to better locations. The result has been an abundance of growth that now needs to be edited to keep it in balance. What fun it has been!

5 comments:

  1. Good gosh! Linda, your "cabin" is totally gorgeous. I can't believe your garden. I'm so envious. The flowers are just beautiful. I just called my husband over and he stared at the screen for a while and just said, "Wow."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good Morning from Mississippi! Hope you have a great week. Keep up the good work here! Wow, that is very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  3. your garden is gorgeous, you certainly have at least two green thumbs and live in the best location for growing things.

    ReplyDelete
  4. sigh.... if only I could grow such a beautiful variety of flowering plants in the cold outer reaches of Fairview, Utah. Our growing season is so short, here. But, I keep pictures of yards like yours in front of me for inspiration and keep plugging away. It looks like you and your hubby share a section of paradise.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your garden and the bench in it. Where I work we have the matching chairs by the same artist. I'm curious where you got the bench from??

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.