Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Giving Thanks

There is not a day that goes by that I don't acknowledge how fortunate I am. This is the time of year when we traditionally count our blessings and give thanks for what we have. I have so much to be grateful for. It isn't just stuff, although I certainly don't lack for anything. We have lived in our "dream house" for 30 years, a house that we had built when the kids were little and we lived on a single income, a teacher's salary. But we managed, and much more, raising our kids here and, over time, creating our garden paradise. It is our refuge. Our two children have grown into wonderful adults, and we have enjoyed sharing in that growing up process, learning along with them. We have two beautiful and loving grandchildren. While we don't see them as much as we'd like, technology keeps us close. We have large, extended families with which to share celebrations and passages. My mother is still able to participate in the lives of her ever-expanding family. In this time of financial crisis, we are relieved to be on a "fixed" income, enjoying the fruit of many years of labor in public education. We have shared our lives with many children and colleagues, many of whom remain friends. Most of all, Tom and I have each other. Now in our 40th year of marriage, we have shared home building, child rearing, our professions, and our love of gardening. Now we are travel partners, crossing oceans or just across town, sharing experiences great and small. Some of you have commented that I seem peaceful, content, that I have a great life. I do. Happy Thanksgiving, everyone.

7 comments:

  1. gratitude more than fills our lives, it brings contentment. congrats on achieving your life time goals. on to more happiness

    ReplyDelete
  2. God bless you and your family. I mean...our family!! :]

    ReplyDelete
  3. Linda..it has been wonderful to make a connection with you and some of the other blogger ladies...I am very grateful for that...

    Rambling Woods

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Linda,
    I certainly love keeping up with you on your blog. Your pictures are beautiful.
    I decided to create a blog. It is Greetings from Ilene in Vernonia, and the address is ileneinvernonia.blogspot.com/ It is full of mistakes, but hopefully it will get better.
    Love from your sister, Ilene

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad that you are happy and contented in your marriage and life, as are Jill and I. Life is wonderful if we enjoy each other's company. I liked your photos in current blogs too Linda. - Dave

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like you have found the perfect place in Life to be.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.