Thursday, November 20, 2008

Golden Days Gone

It's a Gore-Tex day in Seattle. Stow the umbrella and just flip up the hood and go quickly, dodging the puddles. It's windy and rainy.
Several days ago, when I took this photo of our driveway, I lingered in the golden tunnel when I went out to get the paper, and later, the mail. This morning it was Gore-Tex and go. The leaves will soon be all down, and then we can do the final cleanup.
But yesterday was a great day, dry and warmish, a day to work outside. Tom finished hauling compost and got the last of the raised garden beds spaded and covered. When the wind settles down, he'll get the plastic on the portable hoop house, and then the bonsai trees will be sheltered there for the winter.
I finished the clipping, weeding, grooming and lawn edging, filling the compost bins with new material. There will still be some leaf raking and mowing one or two more times, and then the garden will be put to bed.
For that purpose there is a truck load of leaves waiting in the driveway. Tom will shred them and spread them as mulch over the borders and planted areas. The worms and ground birds will love it, the weeds will be suppressed, and the soil will be amended while being protected from the driving rain. Best of all, this mulch is free, and we're doing the lawn care company a favor by taking a load they would otherwise have to pay to dump.
Of course, that will be Tom's job. While I might be persuaded to help on a nice day, I will otherwise be much too busy in the house. It's time to start sewing some dresses for my granddaughter, and after Thanksgiving, there will be decorating to do, cookies to bake, parties to plan, and gift giving to make decisions about. My hiatus from gardening will begin.

5 comments:

  1. nice to have a break from gardening although we live in a retirement home and our yardwork is done by the community HOA. so we just enjoy it. you have a lovely yard.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice pictures. I have a tone of leaves also. 4 huge Sycamore trees drops lots of huge, but pretty, leaves.
    Tomorrow I am going to Langley to visit my Mother.
    I just read a nice book about camping on Whidbey. It is called:
    Down to Camp
    A history of summer folk on Whidbey Island.
    By Frances Wood

    It is about their cabin and family and their cabin dates back to the early 1900's and has been kept in the family. Real nice and informative story. MB

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, Gore-Tex it is! Beautiful photos!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh how I wish I would have that hiatus as well. But farmer is not your garden clean up kind of guy and never has been. So if I don't do it, it doesn't get done. And it just may not this year....I am taking care of his aging parents much of the time so it is difficult to get it all in. But there is always next year.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.