Monday, January 26, 2009

Domestic Goddess

The bushwhacking is under control enough that I have moved my venue indoors. Tom helped out as we did light housecleaning and laundry this morning. He is getting ready to go outside to resume pruning, but it's down to a one man job now. Yesterday Tom took off to go to a glass blowing class, just for the fun of it. I stayed home and began my next sewing project and made soup. Last summer we cooked a ham on the outdoor grill when our kids were visiting. We had several dinners from it, plus sandwiches. It was time to take off for one of the cabins, so I wrapped the remaining ham bone and stuck it in the freezer. This weekend I decided it was time for a good winter soup. I sauteed some onion and celery in a bit of olive oil in a big heavy stock pot, then added water and the meaty ham bone, seasoning with salt, pepper and marjoram, and let it simmer for an hour. In the meantime I had lima beans soaking. Now I have to confess I don't really make soup that much anymore, and I was just making it up as I went, getting some ideas from the bean package. The stock had a wonderful smoked ham aroma as it simmered. I let it set to cool, and pulled the meat off the bone. I added the beans and some diced carrots to cook an hour and a half before dinner. Later I added chopped cabbage and the meat. I whipped up some corn bread to go with the soup. Yesterday Lin wrote about compliments and that we should even compliment ourselves. So I did. The was one wonderful soup supper for a cold winter day. And I have leftovers so I don't have to cook today! I am finally making progress on my next sewing project, another dress for my granddaughter. I have been putting it off because once again I am sort of making it up as I go along and I had some engineering to do in my head. And of course I have to overcome the fear of screwing it up and the inertia of getting started each time I launch a project. I'm on my way now. But the sun is shining, so I'll have to take time to go for a walk. After all, dinner is already cooked.

12 comments:

  1. thanks for using my idea. we all need to compliment ourselves more. your soup supper sounds wonderful if I lived closer I'd invite myself over. Soup is great in winter and corn bread-that's my husband's favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so very talented!!I have talents, but sewing and cooking from scratch aren't 2 of them. I do love soup, though! Maybe I will have to fire up my crockpot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is beautiful today, isn't it? Cold, but beautiful! I'm a big soup person and usually keep a pot going and yours sounds great! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE soup and I make it so rarely with just the 2 of us..Soup and sunshine are what I need...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds delicious! David won't let me make soup for dinner because he says it does not satisfy his hunger. But maybe if I also bake some cornbread, he'll go along!

    Great idea! Mahalo for the tip!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Linda I love to make soups on cold winter days. This makes me hungry. Enjoy your sunshine on your walk.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Linda, you are very talented. My wife Jill has similar talents, especially as a cook, and is practical in the house. She too makes soup with ham bones, as you do. Keep up the good work. - Dave

    ReplyDelete
  8. the idea of complimenting ourselves is a great one - I rarely do it

    thanks

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like the idea of complimenting ourselves.

    Please be sure to post a photo of that dress when it is done. I'll look forward to seeing the finished project.

    ReplyDelete
  10. There is something about making soup that is so satisfying. It feels like a wonderful accomplishment and it tastes good, also. My favorite is vegetable beef with barley rice.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yum! I love soups! And they are great leftovers.

    Something about a pot of soup!

    I made a turkey the other day from one I had from Xmas I didn't cook. I made all the usual trimmings, including cornbread ( indian style) dressing, yum. Then I made turkey enchiladas! YUM!

    I still have plenty frozen for soup, and turkey pot pie in a nice oval baker.

    Bring on the snow!! :) ( and Netflix)

    I'm crocheting a hat!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.