Wednesday, January 14, 2009

What Do You Do All Day?

If you are retired, as I am, has anyone ever asked you that question? I usually answer "I'm not sure, but I know I'm busy." I have felt especially busy the last few days so I tried to analyze why. Just what do I do all day?
After cleaning closets there was the usual cooking, house cleaning, laundry and grocery shopping. Tom finally got out the slide projector he borrowed and has been going through boxes of old family slides - from his childhood and earlier. I have spent some time with him reliving past history and deciding: keep, print up, or throw away. Most have been tossed, put there are some interesting keepers.
I ordered a new photo printer from Amazon and it arrived a few days ago. We got it programmed and running. I want to get back to it to print up some pics for photo cards, but I haven't managed that yet. The Arizona atlas plus some travel guides are sitting around waiting for me to finish up our travel plans for March. Once we get our itinerary set we'll book flights and car rentals and motels. We're planning a week long road trip out of Phoenix north to Sedona and south to Tucson with points of interest in and around these hubs. I started this project over a week ago but I'm having trouble finding time to get back to it. Got to do it soon.
Today Tom installed a new switch for the bedside touch lamp, which was easy, and the DTA's for the digital upgrades for two TVs, which was complicated. He is just loving the TV spots from Comcast that say if you are a cable customer you don't have to do anything. DTA's are Digital Transport Adapters. They are little boxes accompanied by remotes, cables and cords with transformers. For our new little flat screen in the kitchen it was a matter of plugging it all in. For the old TV upstairs it took several calls for tech support and several tries to adapt the old remote and the new remote and about 45 minutes more to achieve activation for both new boxes. All in all it took about two hours, and now we have a bunch of new black wire spaghetti. But we didn't have to do anything, right? R-i-g-h-t.
While Tom was doing that project, I made a trip to the fabric store. I have been designing, in my head and on paper, my next sewing project, a birthday dress for Granddaughter Irene. After playing around with alterations to a basic pattern, I went to select coordinated fabrics. There were a bunch of us granny types there at JoAnn's, taking advantage of the half price sale and getting in each other's way. The nice thing about granny types is that we are polite to each other as we dodge each other's carts and bolts of fabric. Now I have to find the time to get the project started before I lose momentum.
We went out shopping yesterday for stuff like photo frames, printer paper, a lamp switch and I don't know what all. I also did some preliminary fabric shopping and pattern searching. The frames were for paintings and prints we bought on our European trip last April. Some of them are now finally hanging on the wall. Others are still waiting.
I also finally got back to trying to retrieve embroidery designs I downloaded onto my sewing machine program on our old computer that were not opening on our new computer. After lots of time and lots of mouse clicking I have found them all, but now they need to be reorganized in document files. Sometime.
-
During my trip to the doctor last week for a referral to podiatry, it was discovered that my blood pressure was high. I have never really paid any attention to blood pressure, but now I must. I have been taking readings several times a day. Now that the weather has calmed so that is isn't raining or snowing or blowing, I can get out for walks again. I found my pedometer, got new batteries for it, recalibrated it, and have gone for hour long walks the last two afternoons. So far I have managed to get Tom to go along and we've had good chats to mask the effort of hill climbing. Surprise! Exercise has an immediate, positive affect on blood pressure.
-
I am part way through the new Time magazine, but I haven't touched the latest Newsweek yet. I manage to scan the daily paper and read most of the editorial page. I get the word puzzle done while watching Keith Olbermann on MSNBC, or Rachel Maddow's show, which we record to watch in the evening along with The Daily Show. Occasionally there are other TV shows we watch for entertainment, although those seem fewer and fewer. I have a new novel from Amazon that I want to start when I get ahead of the other reading. Soon, I hope.
-
Each day I try to take time to check in on all of my blogging friends. I learn so much from all of you and we have wonderful conversations on line. My postings depend on time and inspiration. This one was interrupted while I went down to the kitchen to finish up the pot roast dinner that was cooking in the oven, which I started before we went for out for our walk. Then it was time to eat it, and help with the clean up.
-
And that's kinda, sorta what we do all day, with occasional yard work thrown in for good measure.
-
So, what do you do all day? And who would ever have time to go to work?!

16 comments:

  1. Ah, you do stay busy! But that's a good thing! It's better than sitting around wishing you had something to do and feeling lonely or some other negative something and I'm sure you're aware of that. I sometimes wonder where the day goes! Good to have you back! Have missed you the past couple of days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What do I do? Isn't it funny how the days just fill up? I wonder how things got done when I was working. I loved teaching but I'm loving this stage of my life, too. It's a great feeling to be free to do whatever I want. With this economy, I hope I still can.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are one busy lady. I work full time and I know that when I retire I will have my days filled. I know this because they are brimming to overflow now and I would love to have more time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read somewhere that the only things most people do when they retire are the same things they did in their free time when they were working, only more of em.
    I've often wondered if that was true....

    If you rode a bike, you ride it more often.. if you watched tv, you're glued to the screen more...
    if you took day trips or mini vacations, you travel more.

    Whaddaya t5hink? Is it true?

    ReplyDelete
  5. caryn i think you hit on the head-more of the hobbies and interests plus time to develop new ones. i love retirement the only thing lacking is energy but a little nap now and then helps that. Linda you certainly have an interesting and full life. i read your dta info to my husband and he chuckled because that's what he thinks will happen to us too. interesting post-love the colors and fabrics for your grand dg's dress.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It seems like there are not enough hours in the day, and yet at times, I do nothing. But there is always something going on and things to do and I have got to get out for more photo ops. YES!!!! MB

    ReplyDelete
  7. hmmm. I have been retired since 2001. During this time, I published 4 books and many newspaper articles.

    I started my blog in 2006.

    So, yeah, I've been busy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Caryn, I guess I would say "partly yes and partly no". Walking has been a part of my life for a long time. When I was working it was a stress reliever. Gardening has become more fun now that I don't have to crowd it into the weekends in the spring and fall. We travel much more than before, but it was something we always wanted to do. When I was working I had very little time for reading other than work related. I read novels only in the summer time. I had sewed before but not for 25 years, so that was a relearning process, and I sew for different purposes now. I always watched TV and do not allow myself to watch during the daytime except for an occasional Martha because it seems like a waste of time. Daylight is for doing, even when it is a day we declare to be a lazy day, a resort day. Technology- blogging, email, photography, internet - has filled a gap that not working left.
    So yes, I guess we do more of what we were already interested in or doing, but the great thing is that you get to slow down and enjoy all of it more.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! You certainly have many talents that keep you busy. I was tired from reading about all that you accomplished. God bless you! I spend my day taking care of Flo, Grace, and Scout.[Mom, dog, cat]. When I have help to be with Mom, I volunteer at several places. I watch too much TV and don't read as much as I want to...I've got to reverse that pattern. An occasional funk can cause this behavior!
    I spend time on the computer, do errands, grocery shop, laundry, etc.
    Being a single person[ with RA], I have to pace myself to accomplish all that needs to get done.
    I am very content with retirement. Otherwise, I would be over the edge trying to cope with everyday life!
    A little joke to end this comment with:
    What did the scarf say to the hat??
    I'll just hang around while you go on ahead!!!TTFN

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fascinating post. Since we moved from Texas to Oregon when I retired it's hard to judge how much my life now compares to life before retirement. I know a lot of it is very different. I still read, and knit. Have started blogging and Facebook since retirement. Interesting post. I don't think I'm as busy as you and I know we don't get as much done.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I often wonder how people get anything done who work full time. I never have enough time to finish all the projects I set out to do in a week.

    My husband and I have been to Arizona several times. You're going to have a wonderful time!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Linda. I came over from Kay's, read your comments at Lin and wanted to stop in and say 'hi'.

    My answer is almost like yours to the question. I just start naming all the things I do in a day, they usually cut me off and move on to another topic. I didn't get much of anything done when I worked, I don't know how people keep up when they have small kids AND work.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You are productive and busy. What I do is always skewed to my energy level. The pets and birds get my energy first and then I can use what little is left over...I love your choice in TV shows as I watch them too...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Time just goes, no accounting for it! Yesterday Jill and I helped daughter Sandra tidy her garden and back yard. Today we intended to take it easy, but both Jill and I used the day doing essential chores around our home. Maybe relax tomorrow? - Dave

    ReplyDelete
  15. Linda, I am sure there are days when I do nothing at all, if that's possible..lol
    I think the Puritan work ethic needs to go out the window, and we need to learn to be late, relax and enjoy just be ing.
    The Quakers, btw didn't have the same work ethic as Puritans, they believed in enjoying mornings before work..ahh..

    I am a fog watcher myself..

    ReplyDelete
  16. After reading about your day, Ive decided that we are somewhat alike. Read my blog that I posted today and you'll see what I mean.

    Love ya, sister.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.