Saturday, July 4, 2009

Enjoying A Cool Morning On The 4th of July

We were up early this morning to get the raspberries picked before the sun got hot. The warm, dry weather has brought them on fast after a slow start.
We had about a quart of berries before we went to Whidbey. Today the harvest was eight quarts. Three went into a big bowl for the picnic and fireworks viewing we'll be heading to this afternoon. The other five went into the freezer.
I picked my first bouquet of sweet peas. They were late too, after our cold spring, but I had to pick the few in bloom for my 4th of July bouquet. Some lavender from the garden filled them out.
Tom tied up the cucumber vines, and I picked some lettuce. The hot weather will make it bolt, so we'll have to eat it up as fast as we can. There will be salads every day now.
I grew up a country girl, and while I'm happy to be a city girl now, I still like to dabble in the dirt a bit. Harvesting for a 4th of July picnic just seems right.
And the brownies I baked will be great with the raspberries and ice cream!
Hope you have some fun planned, too.

8 comments:

  1. what a fun garden. I've planted raspberries several times but never had any success-guess it's too hot for them here. love your patriotic bouquet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your sweet peas...never have seen them before...I know I m a city girl.

    Happy 4th Linda....those respberries look mouth watering!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your raspberries look so delicious; I wish I had some in my garden. I have a large fig tree though and it is loaded – should make a lot of jam this year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I forgot to mention your grandkids look adorable for the 4th. There are still fireworks going off as I write.

    Your garden absolutely blows me away! We have raspberry bushes (had bushes in Illinois) but we only got a 1/4 cup at a time which is only enough for our cereal in the morning.

    ReplyDelete
  5. the flower arrangement is so beautiful

    and everything looks fresh and green and wonderful

    this city girl would love to dabble in some dirt if the results were like yours

    ReplyDelete
  6. Holy cow..those are your bushes..Wow!!! You really do have a country-like setting in your yard...

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMG your garden is amazing Linda,, I need help w/ mine, and wow, raspberries are lookin good. What a bounty.. You and your husband manage to do everything with the greatest of ease..I still remember your cookies.. omg..

    ReplyDelete
  8. Another reason to plead my case for adoption!! I get along well with others! Your garden should be on 60 minutes!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.