Friday, October 16, 2009

Elections Are Coming

A year ago election day in November had so much at stake for us as a nation. This year is an "off" election year. But I have to think that the candidates for Seattle Mayor, King County Executive, port commissioners and any number of smaller offices are important to someone. And if it's true what they say that all government is local, then it is even more imperative that we vote knowledgeably. Two important items on the ballot are statewide. R-71 would uphold a bill passed by our legislature referred to the "Everything But Marriage Act", which extends civil rights to all civil unions, including same sex unions. Isn't it about time we promoted all monogamous, long term and stable relationships and granted caring couples the rights that come with legal marriage? I think so. The other measure is Initiative 1033, offered by our resident tax hating, professional initiative promoter, Tim Eyeman. It would gut our state property tax system, with no way to replace the budgetary funding. Our schools, among other things, would suffer greatly. There are lots of races I need to study up on before I vote. We got our mail -in ballots yesterday. But the voters pamphlet has not yet arrived. If we need knowledgeable voting, is this good planning?

6 comments:

  1. Our elections are coming up in a few weeks. I am so tired of and fed up with such negative ads that are bombarding us 24/7. Its discouraging to hear but it is thought provoking!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, we got our mail-in ballots today. Waiting for the voters pamphlet! I, too, need to study up on more before I send mine in.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I agree with you about civil rights for all couples. And I , too, am already tired of the mud slinging TV ads.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just heard in the news today about that judge who refused to marry an interracial couple. Good grief! What decade does he think this is? I wish all voters voted as carefully as you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like typical government to me.. I need to do some work also...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I need to figure out a way to vote from over here...

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.