Saturday, February 6, 2010

Taxes, And Other Things That Have To Be Done.

This morning, after a very slow start, Tom and I did the weekly house cleaning. We put it off yesterday so it was waiting to be done. It wasn't bad once we got going. We were finished by noon. This afternoon Tom went outside to finish up a pruning job he started yesterday. I was hoping to get out into the sunshine for a walk, but I wanted to tackle the taxes first. Tom beat me in completing our tasks. As the afternoon waned and a light cloud cover diluted the sun, I toiled away. Why is it that this job gets more complicated every year? I did love the online sales tax calculator. You put in your income and zip code and Wa lah!, out comes your state, county and local sales tax deduction. We don't have many deductions, just the medical, charity and property and sales taxes. We don't have any debt so we don't have and interest deductions. But in order to know if the standard deduction is a better deal than itemizing, I have to calculate both ways. After all of that, the standard beat itemizing by about $400. But I do know more about where our money goes. I had to print out a form from the IRS to claim our energy credit for installing our new furnace and heat pump. That wasn't too complicated, thank goodness. But for some reason Tom didn't have enough withholding out of his pension, so if it wasn't for that energy credit we would have ended up owing a chunk of change, never a good thing. He'll have to make an adjustment. So now it's time to make some dinner and then settle in for the evening. Tomorrow we're planning an urban trek before the Super Bowl. We don't have a horse in that race, but I'll have the game on. Gotta keep up. I guess it would be nice if New Orleans won.

6 comments:

  1. Bob does our taxes, but every year I think I should know more about that in case it sometime becomes my job.

    Caleb will be over tomorrow afternoon. Since it's Superbowl Sunday I'll need to play with him to allow grandpa uninterrupted time to watch the game. Some of the knitting shops are having Superbowl sales and parties tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't tackled this chore yet. I've still got over 2 months, right.
    I was wondering what to do with lemons and so made lemon bars last week. Mine came off my tree, one of the plusses of living where I do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah taxes. I actually like to do them but the past few years have had someone do them for us. I was thinking that maybe now would be a great time to look into a course or two about taxes so I could challenge(!) myself next year and do them myself. We too are going to root for the Saints!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah the joys of tax season, NOT! :) Enjoy the game Linda and enjoy your Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the reminder. I need to get my paperwork together for the accountant. I've quit doing them myself. I get a much better return when he does it.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.