Sunday, March 28, 2010

When The Sun Doesn't Shine

As sunny and mild as yesterday, today was the opposite - stormy, wet, and cold. What do you do at the beach when the sun doesn't shine? You get in the car and drive, drive to indoor activities, or to where you can watch the surf pound the shore. South of Tillamook we drove through the valley of Beaver Creek, where moss ans lichen cover bare branches, daffodils grow in the fence rows of green pastures where cows graze and grow cheese. Beaver Creek flows into the Nestucca River near the town of Cloverdale. We meet up with the sea again south of Nestucca Bay, and stop at Boiler Bay, and boiling it was. South on Hwy 101, we stopped again at Depot Bay, where the Spouting Horn didn't disappoint. We stopped at an antique mall in Lincoln City, where we managed to spend more than an hour out of the weather. There were lots of treasures, but we managed to leave most of them behind.We found a deli for our lunch stop. A stop at Cape Foulweather honored it's name. We arrived at our hotel in Newport about 4:00, ready for some down time while enjoying this view of Yaquina Head from our window.

8 comments:

  1. So cold and bleak! The pics make me melancholy, Linda. Hope it's sunny tomorrow...

    ReplyDelete
  2. oregon is fun, I really enjoy the shop at cape foul weather. your post brought back memories of last summer's stay for a week with caryn and her hubby.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the pictures of the surf pounding, and the last two views from your hotel room are outstanding. I don't have much problem with the weather if I don't have to stand around in it too long. Great shots!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Usually when we drive through the inland valleys and woods, I'm just waiting to again get back to the sea, but this time I was thoroughly enjoying the beauty of the mist in the hills, the new spring greens made to glow by the rain, the moss and lichen draped trees. I think in order to live here in the moisture laden coastal air, you would have to see the beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome pictures. One of the things I enjoy most here is the beautiful colors and kinds of moss and lichen.

    It's raining hard in Hillsboro today.

    Thanks for taking me with you for a drive on the Oregon coast.

    ReplyDelete
  6. First time visiting your blog and I'll be back. Your photos are wonderful -- makes me want to visit the "Left Coast"!! :)
    Isn't that surf magnificent???

    ReplyDelete
  7. California weather has done an about face as well. A stormy ocean has its own beauty though. I wouldn't mind a stormy day with an ocean view.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm sorry that the weather wasn't good, but it made for some really dramatic and interesting photos Linda...

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.