Friday, April 16, 2010

Birthday Pageant, Chapter I: Living in Irene's World

Irene is at dance class right now, so I have the time to blog. Otherwise, she would have me doing something else. I think we're going to be playing house, or pretend witches, or castle when she gets back. Isaac and Irene were in bed, not quite asleep, when we arrived in Fort Morgan Tuesday evening. I went right to them for hugs and kisses, without permission. Grandma's privilege. They did eventually get to sleep, because they had school in the morning. In fact the whole family was in school Wednesday morning, so Tom and I had time to settle in, go for a walk and run a few errands for Jill. By the afternoon everyone was home - early release for Isaac and Jill, who just skipped out, and of course Irene, who got home form preschool at 11:00. She had me well in tow by the time the others got there. It was a beautiful, warm day so we walked to the park to play. We topped off the fun with a stop at the Dairy Queen on the walk back home. Thursday we celebrated Irene's birthday at preschool, since it was her last day for the week. Her birthday is Saturday. We had a tea party, of course. That is the theme this year. Irene helped pass out the tea cakes, to go with the fruit k-bobs, chocolate strawberries, milk, and tea, of course!
After the tea party, which even the boys thought was fine, it was time for Irene's birthday song and spanking. She "blew" out the candles on the ceremonial cake.
Mom Jill was there, of course. She is quite the anticipated guest at preschool. The teachers always wonder what she'll come up with next. She was able to get away from her class a bit early and use planning time to come over.
The class was learning about the letter V this week, and they topped it off with a volcano! Irene got to pour on the vinegar.
Back home we changed into our "farm" clothes and did some work and play in the yard. I did a little spading in the garden patch and Irene inspected the worms. Tom gets to finish the work. I just do the fun stuff.
We had to leave the house for a while in the afternoon because it is on the market and someone was coming to see it, so we packed up our tea party leftovers and re-convened in the park.
Isaac and Jill joined us after they got out of school.
Irene has been begging every day to please, let me open a present! So yesterday evening we gave her the composite photo Tom had created using Photo Shop. It shows Irene from age one up to this last Christmas, wearing clothing I made for her.
She loved it.
Today the pageant continues. Another Grampa will come by this evening with a present. Cakes are being baked in preparation for the assembly Jill and I will do tonight. She has another elaborate scheme that causes me to raise my eyebrows, but which she will no doubt pull off once again.

9 comments:

  1. Delightful. What fun. I'm so glad you gave her the picture Tom composed. That one was too good to let it get away.

    Looking forward to the next installment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. She's getting a lot of use out of the dress and sweater you gave her! Will she be wearing the same outfit for High Tea on Saturday?

    Love the composite picture, which is very clever.

    Did you post this on your Acer or on Jill's computer??? Excellent!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gigi, yes, she'll be wearing her rainbow outfit to tea on Saturday.
    I did not bring my Acer, as there are two lap tops and a desk top PC here. I'm using the desk top.

    ReplyDelete
  4. what fun and an excuse for grandmas to be kids once again. sounds like a great vacation with family.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful present! You are so talented and she is a very fortunate young lady. I wish I had appreciated my grandmothers when I had them. I had to grow up first, and by that time they were gone... thanks so much for the pictures and sharing your fun with me!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are one cook grandma and it's obvious how much those children love you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What fun indeed! How much joy Irene must have felt to be able to share her early party with her family as well as classmates. She is sweet. And what a wonderful composite photo gift you made for her, something to be cherished forever.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like you are having a great time. I'm surprised that the weather is allowing you to garden in Denver. Some of the Rocky Mountain bloggers make it seem like Winter will never end there.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You have the most beautiful grandchildren, Linda.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.