Wednesday, May 12, 2010

The Pacific Rim Bonsai Collection

Here we go again. Another amazing garden. Can you tell this leads to some place special? Owned by the Weyerhaeuser Company, the tree people, The Pacific Rim Bonsai Collection is an outdoor museum featuring 60 world-class bonsai from six Pacific Rim nations in a beautiful woodland setting. Until last spring it was always open to the public, free of charge, but due to economic conditions, it has been closed except for one week in the spring. The trees are still being cared for and everything is intact, but the cost of keeping it open was considered too high during a time when lumber products just aren't being bought because construction has been drastically reduced. We managed to find a day, yesterday, when we could pay a visit during this short opening window. It's just 20 minutes down the freeway from home. We have been many times before and Tom and I both have favorite trees that are old friends by now. This is one of mine. Tom has studied Bonsai and has about a dozen of his own creations that are now taking on some age, so he really studies these exceptional examples.
Blooms are always a nice touch.
All styles are represented, using many different materials.
This azalea dates to 1880 and has been in training since 1910.
The setting is beautiful and immaculately groomed.
This oak was 100 years old when its training began in 1910.
One strip of living bark wrapped around the dead wood supports the living crown.
Tom has a wisteria bonsai that is blooming too, but it doesn't have the size or age of this one.
I'm thinking this one has to be wired through the pot to an anchor below!
Groves are fun.
This famous tree is the logo for the Puget Sound Bonsai Association, of which Tom is a member.
Another one of my favorites.
The individual branches of this tree are grafted on to the old trunk.
Bonsai is a painstakingly detailed art form with very little instant gratification. But the results are highly valued as well as works of art.

12 comments:

  1. This is truly amazing. I tried bonsai but I'm a quick moving person that should never be turned loose with clippers in my hand. Mine didn't last long. I'm so glad you blogged about these.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope that times will improve so that this garden is available more often. But thank you for the pictures, I love bonsai and think that it's a wonderful art form.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I, too, love bonsai. I don't see too many of them in Hawaii, though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A beautiful blog Linda. Your photos of the bonsai trees are so clear and clean. Thanks for sharing. - Dave

    ReplyDelete
  5. absolutely gorgeous...never understood that they can bloom too. We saw many in Japan on our trip years ago. What an art.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Isn't that a wonderful collection. It is hard to imagine the age of some. I used to Bonsai but after I lost my Tiny Crabapple tree, well I just have done no more. Although I get the urge now and again. I had a Japanese Maple I did about 12 years ago and my Crab Apple I did 10 years ago. When we got a pup about 3 years ago he chewed them up and yanked them out of their pots and ran off with tem. I tried to recover them but was a little angry at the dog so my attitude was I don't care anymore. My Crab Apple go tiny apples every year. I was a conversation piece.

    What a remarkable Mother you have. My Mother is 94 and zipping right along. You know she had a small stroke last Thursday and she has progressed so fast it is amazing. So we both can be thankful for our great Mothers. MB

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Linda, you have some lovely gardens out there. The Bonsai trees are magnificent and to think of the time and skill it takes to shape them. Just amazing! Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  8. WOW! These are incredible bonsai! I'm sending this link to my son-in-law. He loves bonsai trees and has a few of his own.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am truly amazed by these beautiful works of nature/art.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just amazing. Wonderful pictures. :) Petra

    ReplyDelete
  11. These are beautiful, what a shame that they are hidden from the public.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh gracious! What a post! I love bonsai!!! These are spectacular. Each one is such a treasure. I can just imagine the love, time and care that had to go into creating such works of art.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.