Thursday, June 3, 2010

Day 6 - Home From the Sea

We did get out for a beach walk yesterday evening! What a relief to have an end to the rain. We were getting cabin fever. This is cold ocean water here on the Oregon Coast, but it's hard to keep these kids out of it. It's a good thing we have a wood stove to hang the wet clothes over. They were cold by the time they got in and had a warm bath before settling in the watch Nemo. Keeping them up late has helped to get them to sleep in, which we like. - I went back out the capture the sunset.
This morning dawned clear and sunny and I went out for a brief walk before anyone else was up. I cooked breakfast and Jill, Irene and Tom made the bakery run to augment the eggs, sausage and fruit. Jill got her gear collected and then took the kids out on the beach while Tom and I cleaned the cabin.
-
We hit the road about 11:30, with Irene declaring "Grandma, we had a great time on the beach!"
-
We stopped by the Tillamook jetty to check out the construction. They're rebuilding parts of it.
Irene didn't want to leave the ocean and so we assured her we would stop to see it at least once more. We always love the view from Neakanie Mountain.
With a late, big breakfast, we made it to Astoria before stopping for a late lunch at the Bowpicker. They have the most amazing fish n' chips made with tuna. The picnic tables were full so we spread out our beach towels.
It's a long trip home, between four and five hours, depending of traffic. We decided to stop in Olympia to stretch our legs and to visit more ancestors. Isaac had wanted to know about Tom's Reeder family, so we stopped at the Masonic Cemetery where three generations are buried.
Tom's parents, Jill's grandparents, were gone long before Isaac and Irene were born. It's too bad. They would have adored the kids.
- We "borrowed" some rhodie blossoms from an old bush nearby to decorate their resting place. Irene helped me find flowers that "didn't belong to someone else".
After a dinner stop we arrived home about 7:00. We unloaded the van, and then the kids and I went outside. They prepared a "surprise" Happy Summer Party for me in the playhouse with a lovely play dough cake, and we played Find the Flower using the photos I had taken of the glass flowers. And yes, they thought the flowers were pretty cool.
-
Several loads of laundry are done and everyone is either in bed or headed there. I will be soon.
I'll try to catch up with you a bit tomorrow, but the schedule is filling up.

9 comments:

  1. This was such a wonderful trip. And I feel almost as though I went along with you. Your pictures are simply beautiful, I especially love the one of Irene and family looking at the ocean. She's definitely like me that way: can't get enough of that view.

    ReplyDelete
  2. beautiful photos and a fun time was had by all I can tell...

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1. Your post title is witty, but I'm sure you know this.
    2. The sunset pictures are all good, but that last one is AWESOME!
    3. What a wonderful relationship you all share.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want you to find all the pictures you've made of Irene in the play house and ask Tom to compose a picture like the one he did of Irene in all the dresses you'd made for her. That play house needs to live on in her memories.

    Also that shot of her looking out at the ocean one last time needs to be framed for her room.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great vacation for your family. Love your pictures. I didn't know there were Masonic cemeteries. My dad was a 32nd degree Mason. He's been gone 36 years now...hard to believe.

    Enjoy the rest of your summer!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just love this, Linda. I'm home now but I can enjoy your day and feel the beauty and the fun of it. It really is the most wonderful thing to spend days with your beautiful family, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your photos of the sunset are awesome! I doubt I could get such fabulous shots with my Canon.

    Living in Colorado, your grandkids must especially love the ocean. Wonder if they feel the same way about the snow in Colorado.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great time was had by all. I love the Oregon beaches. That sunset is super gorgeous.
    I guess we all know how to live with the rain---we do it so often. Next time, sunny skies. MB

    ReplyDelete
  9. glad the rain stopped for a while...

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.