Sunday, June 27, 2010

Finding My Lazy Bone

The work of spring is done. The USA is out of the world cup, so the agony and ecstasy of winning and losing is done. It's time to even out and enjoy some leisure. Our Open Garden had a disappointing turn out, but that isn't new. Most of our members live on the east side of Lake Washington, where the average income is decidedly higher, and where coming out to the south end is a trip to the wilderness. The twelve who did come enjoyed it very much. The good thing is that the garden is in great shape and now we just have to do the maintenance, which means some mowing and edging now and then, and going around with a bucket and snippers once in a while. As we settle into summer mode, we usually spend an hour or so in the morning doing something yard related and then have the rest of the day off. Tom does have the hedge pruning to do, but we'll hire son Jake to help with that after July 4th. Some of you asked for pics of the garden. By the time I got to taking any, the sun was out, which I can't complain about, but it makes for more difficult photography. I thought my snacks were pretty cool - nuts and jelly bellies and dark chocolate M&Ms and dried cranberries, served up in collectible flower pots enclosed in an old berry picking carrier. Just fill up you little cup with your choice of mix. I'm ready to spend some time here. My favorite rose, Gertrude Jekyll, was at her best. This area is full of early spring color, mostly from bulbs, so the summer show comes on gradually and a bit at a time.
The peony was late, so still pretty.
Poppies are just about pooped.
The vegetable garden is finally beginning to grow.
The deck was inviting.
My new concrete flower, purchased last weekend at an open garden, with Sum and Substance hosta.
A clematis opened just in time.
So after the open garden closed, we picked up and put away, and then opened a bottle of wine and toasted summer, and the beginning of our days of complete freedom ahead. We had a fresh salad dinner with lettuce from the garden, went for a neighborhood walk, had a conversation with a neighbor we found working in her yard, and then settled in front of the TV to watch a movie, "It's Complicated". It was the perfect light entertainment.
-
Today I arose from a good night's sleep, finally! I've watched a bit of the England-Germany World cup match (England's loss made ours look not so bad at all), sort of watched This Week on ABC, read the light stuff in the Sunday paper, and now posted this blog. I will probably go for a short walk before watching the Sounders match at 2:00 this afternoon.
-
Who knows? I can do whatever I want. I have books to read, walks to take, puttering to do, or I can just sit in the garden and listen to the birds.
-
I'm finding my lazy bone.

15 comments:

  1. Your gardens looks extremely inviting. Yesterday I took the time to go back and read several of your posts, starting with the arrival of your daughter and two grandchildren and working forward: Oregon trip, etc. What an interesting life you lead, and what creative activities you think of for your grandchildren to enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aaaaaaahhhhhhhh, Linda! If I lived near you I'd be over all the time just to sit in your garden. Everything looks so gorgeous! You really are lucky to have such a beautiful place to live. And snacks, too! Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  3. As always, your garden is lovely. You were clever to think of serving your snacks in flower posts. How appropriate. I'm glad you're going to have some down time now. You've had a very busy spring. Have fun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lazy? Lazy, did you say? I know lazy very well. Haha. There's my yard to prove it. Ah, well, I did manage to write and publish 3 books, so I have kept busy in my own way. To each his own! Right?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I doubt you have a lazy bone in your body, I'd say a well deserved rest and time to appreciate your many labors. Beautiful garden!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your garden always brings out the envy in me. I want a beautiful garden, but my yard floods all the time and the soil is full of clay, and I can't afford the help...blah, blah, blah! Oh well, I guess I'll just have to look at yours and pretend. Just gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  7. "Lazy Bone" piqued my interest, since I retired on Friday and am just beginning to define my time.

    Out to my own garden to water, since our Seattle clouds don't look like rain today.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A well deserved rest I would say! I would have come to the open garden house if I lived nearby! And probably stayed! I really liked the snack arrangements and what a lovely choice. Your gardens are just stunning. Sit and enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The garden is magnificent and the poppies may be pooped but the rest is spectacular. I would love to visit your garden!
    Nifty idea for serving the snacks.
    We tied a record today in our area -- 99° (1952) -- heat index about 105. I worked outside very early, but it was still brutal. Tomorrow should be a little cooler, but not by much. Makes working out inside a necessity.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your garden..it is gorgeous..and what a cute idea for the snacks.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your garden is beautiful in sun or in shade. I love to look at these pictures, and imagine that wonderful place within a short drive. Your life is full and I agree that you don't have much of a lazy bone but you might be able to cultivate one, since you've got such a green thumb!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your gardens are beautiful and tour surely will enjoy everything---right down to the flower pot snacks.

    Now you do have time to kick back and enjoy---although I think being busy is what you enjoy the most.

    MB

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'd love to come visit from the other side of the country :)

    it is beautiful!!

    enjoy

    ReplyDelete
  15. Enjoy your time relaxing because you have earned it and much more. Great snack idea!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.