Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Chopping and Shopping

Monday and Tuesday we had cool weather, just right for working outside, and we put in two busy days chopping and pruning and trimming. The compost bins are full and we have bags and bins of hedge prunings awaiting yard waste pick up. It will take several truck pick up days to get rid of it all.
But the spent perennials are cut back and all of the pruning has been done and picked up.
-
Out in the vegetable/cut flower garden the dahlias are beginning to bloom. They will be the makings for many bouquets for the rest of the summer.
And finally, at long last, the sweet peas are growing and getting set to flower. They sat there and looked at us for a long time during our cold, wet spring.
I had mentioned that I would be picking raspberries every third day, but I think our season has come to premature end. We have raspberry fruit worms.
-
I was having trouble sleeping last night, so I got up and went on line to do a little research. You see, I had noticed a few tiny white worms earlier on the berries, but when we went to have some berries last night from the bowl of fresh picked berries, the bowl was full of tiny white worms. We threw them all out. I'm pretty sure the ones I have in the freezer are wormy too, but hopefully not as bad, and at least the worms are dead. Maybe we'll never notice them in cobbler???
-
Anyway, the verdict is that we have raspberry fruit worms and the infestation is severe enough that I don't think I'll bother to pick anymore. The crop this year was only about half of what we usually get anyway. We'll have to watch and spray early next year.
-
Since I was up in the middle of the night, I did go back to bed and slept. It was 9:00 when I awoke! So I got off to a slow start.
-
On the list for this morning were shopping for clothes and for groceries. I took my coupons and headed off to Kohl's for some new jeans. I hate shopping for clothes so I seldom do any. But it was time to retire several pair of jeans to use as gardening clothes and replace them. I'm between sizes, so I bought a bigger and a smaller size, depending on if I want to slouch around comfortably or get squeezed in a bit. Jeans always stretch out after wearing so I have options. I also bought several new tee shirts, one "dressy", and a pair of Capri length pants for wearing on the beach. With my legs, shorts are no longer something I want to subject the rest of the world too. Not pretty.
-
Then I was off to the local Safeway for another hour of shopping. I was back home by 1:00 and had to put all the groceries away before I had a late lunch. Later this afternoon I finally went through my closet to sort out winter clothes to move out and move summer clothes in. Finally I think it's safe to put the long sleeved tees away.
-
Jeans and tees, that's pretty much what I wear. I have two kinds: the ones I wear around the house, and the ones I wear out in public.
-
Saturday is my birthday and we are heading to Whidbey Island Friday to spend three or four days there. It will be a quiet, simple celebration. Now that I'm over 65, there seems to be little significance to my age. I've already qualified for senior rates, pensions and Social Security and Medicare. Sixty-six is just another year. But a very good year if was!

13 comments:

  1. Jeans and T's....tans and olive green slacks too. No one need know that I get all my clothes at thrift stores. :)

    Lovely dahlia's. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I understand about moving cloths to the work bin. Some how I seem to accumulate "not fit for public tops" at a rapid rate. I'm a sloppy cook and need to be better about using an apron.
    I'll join you in the over 65 class in a few weeks. Funny, I don't feel old but society says we are so it must be so.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll wish you a Happy Birthday now since you are going to Whidbey! You're such a youngster! I'll be 77 next month! Hate to even think about it!! I still don't think of myself as old -- well, except for the slipping memory, but as Martha wrote society says we are and if they're saying that about the 60s, what on earth are they saying about the 70s?? I don't want to know! Have a beautiful, wonderful birthday and celebrate your life! Enjoy!

    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have a wonderful birthday, Linda. Whidbey Island is the perfect way to spend your birthday. I am so envious of your garden!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Too bad about your raspberries. We only have eight plants - put in this spring - but two dozen raspberries was a good start. No worms. However, the potatoes are a mess.

    Jeans and tees - love them. I get my jeans online at LLBean, since I hate to shop. Give me comfort but keep me out of the mall.

    Enjoy your Whidbey trip.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy birthday to you...you're just a youngster at 66...I turned 70 two days ago but don't feel that old. A lovely garden you have, too bad you have to share it with the worms...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy birthday, Linda. Enjoy the island in your new clothes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I used to wear jeans all the time, but when I switched to cargo pants (which I now have plenty of), whenever I go to jeans I really miss those extra pockets! I don't like shopping either.

    And I've stopped wearing shorts, except at the gym, and they are not short ones but pretty substantially cover the upper legs. I look at the others in the class and wish they would pay attention to what the mirror is telling them!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, and Happy birthday! I meant to say that first thing, and it slipped my mind. You are younger than me, but we are, as they say, "of an age."

    ReplyDelete
  10. 1. Happy Birthday!!! That island is a perfect spot for a b-day celebration.
    2. Your gardens are exquisite. I worked outside yesterday in heat and extreme humidity doing weeding and dead-heading. I was soaked and exhausted, but there's immediate gratification in this work.
    3. EEEWWW on the raspberry worms!!!!
    4. We have Kohl's too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ohhh..those worms do not sound good. That's too bad Linda...but any day that end with shopping at Kohls is a good day to me...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy Birthday! Hope you have a wonderful time at the island. Your wardrobe is about the same as mine...sweats for walking (on trails in the woods so who cares!)and tee shirts. I am a sucker for tee shirts that support causes and fund-raisers so I have a drawer full. I have "out in public" shirts and "at home" shirts. I hate jeans but have to have a "dressy" pair for some things. Shorts-ha! Never, ever in public. At home its ok...Your gardens are looking so lush and full..you have a magic touch indeed! Again, have a wonderful birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  13. By the way, capris and tanks are the ways I go around. I'm so sorry about those white worms. I really sympathize. We have black aphids.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.