Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Whidbey Birthday

Last Friday we went to our usual Friday morning breakfast and then came home and packed up. Off we went for a Whidbey weekend. There were a few other folks getting an early start to their weekend too, and we had to wait for the next boat at the Mukilteo ferry dock. By the time we got to the cabin the morning fog had burned off and we had a lovely, slightly cool afternoon. The tide was out so we went for a beach walk. We settled in and had no trouble finding our lazy bone. Tom's twin sister Jan joined us as we sat on the beach at sunset. I was awake early on Saturday to watch the sun rise over the lagoon, but then I went back to bed and slept until 8:00. Happy Birthday!
On the schedule for the morning was the Bayview Farmers Market. It's just up the hill from us, a short drive. This is a fun market, full of local flavor, literally and figuratively.
Strawberries are just ending. I bought a carton of very ripe, very sweet berries for dessert later. Raspberries are in season and blueberries and blackberries are just starting.
This was wonderful cheese. We bought some aged Cheddar to have later.
Don't you just love that carrying basket? I asked the woman wearing it about her basket. She said it was over 30 years old and was originally a picking basket.
Local entertainment.
Garden flowers.
Blue pottery.
It's a dog friendly market.
We stopped next door at the Bayview Nursery, always a must.
We returned to the cabin for lunch and to visit with some friends who stopped by. Then Tom and I went to check out the town of Langley.
Flower baskets on the light poles.
Boy and Dog in the village plaza.
We had coffee at Useless Bay Coffee Company.
The rest of the day was spent lazing around, reading, having wine and cheese on the deck, followed by shrimp on the barby, an after dinner stroll, then strawberries, ice cream and brownies for dessert.
It was a simple, lovely birthday.

9 comments:

  1. HAPPY BIRTHDAY, LINDA!!! What a nice way to spend it. I wish I could spend the weekend in the country somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy, happy birthday, wonderful Linda! I'm so glad you've celebrated your birthday in the best way possible. Thank you for sharing the beauty of your special day with us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday! What a beautiful way to spend the day. The scenery shots are spectacular, and the farmers' market?? Better than I've ever seen anywhere. I'd love to spend a morning browsing at it. The raspberries look luscious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. sounds like a perfect birthday...I envy your coolness.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It sounds like an ideal birthday, and your pictures of the Farmers' Market are wonderful, too. Thanks for inviting me along for the ride, I truly love our part of the country, cool and crisp in July!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy, happy Birthday, Linda, may you have many more!! And what a wonderful place to celebrate! I love farmers markets! Your photos are gorgeous as always and so colorful! Have a great day!

    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  7. I believe you live in paradise!!! Happy Birthday -- and I hope you have many, many more opportunities to spend your days on the island and in that community!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a perfect birthday, who could ask for more? Personally, I also believe we live in paradise! Always love your pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy birthday Linda!!!
    Lovely photos. So familiar are these places, foes the heart good to see them from your angle. Sounds like everyone relaxed and had a lazy time. Bayview is all perked up with color now I see. Nice!!!
    And it's time to go aberryin.
    Swanson bros farm in Laconner is a great place to pick now, and for blueberries I go to Snohomish.

    Your berries put me in the mood!!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.