Sunday, August 22, 2010

Back Home Again

Can you hear John Denver singing? In my head I'm hearing "Gee, it's good to be back home again." But we had a good weekend with my mother in Oregon. We arrived about 5:00 Friday evening, after a long drive with heavy traffic. Mom was waiting for us, so I could open a can for her, so she could get dinner started. That turned out to be a pretty interesting affair, with the casserole not getting done, which delayed everything, which gave us plenty of time to put out the grease fire that started when I turned on a burner to cook the vegetable. But we all survived, the meal worked out, and a friend of Mom's stopped by, and since we were having a late dinner and she hadn't eaten, we fed her too. Afterwards, we laughed about it all. What else can you do? Last time we were there she flooded the kitchen when the sink ran over. She wasn't sure if we should come more often, or maybe less often, since disasters seem to strike when we are there. Of course I could start to really worry about all the potential hazards she faces daily, since her hearing, eyesight, sense of touch and mobility are so impaired. But that would drive us all crazy. She's not about to let us put her in assisted living yet. So we laugh and TRY not to worry. On Saturday we took her for a very short walk down the street a block to show her a new coffee shop that had just been built where before there was a junky old "antique" shop. Just simple things like having someone do that with her make her so happy. Although she raised seven children, five still living, none of us lives closer than two hours away. Thank goodness she has many friends, a sister, and a senior center all near by. Saturday afternoon we took her to the Mohr/Hofstetter Family picnic. My sister Ilene and her husband were there too. Mom was so pleased to have some of her family with her. With her hearing so bad, it's hard for her to know what's going on in a large group, but many of her cousins and her brother and sister made a point of having one on one conversations with her. She was well taken care of. Everyone loves my mother Violet. Here she is with her cousin Julius. I had a good time visiting with my cousin Susan and my Aunts and Uncle. I didn't take many pictures, but Ilene has more on her blog. We shared family history stories and photos. Talking about the "old days" makes me glad I was born in the era of modern conveniences. I don't think I would have been sturdy enough stock to make it back then. Not that my early days were that easy. Even I didn't live in a house with indoor plumbing until I was about six. Now that I'm back home, in my quiet, peaceful, convenient house, I am catching up with everybody else via Facebook, email and blogs. What a life.

9 comments:

  1. Interesting. Just yesterday my son and I talked about indoor plumbing. I told him we didn't have it until I was six, and here you are saying the same thing today.

    Your mother looks like a woman who's easy to love. I have so much admiration for her since reading your mother's day post about her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. and we even have internet and electricity...lol!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad the grease fire did not consume the whole house!

    And glad you are back, safe and sound, after a wonderful family reunion!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now that was surely an adventure. My mother is the reason we had to move back to Hawaii. Your mom sounds very happy and independent. I love the smile on her face.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We have the same dilemma with my folks, Linda. They live in Alaska half of the year and my little sis keeps an eye on them there, but they still have smoke alarm times. :(

    In the winter, they still come to Georgia and live next door to us down there, and we have had a few kitchen fires there too. But basically, they are still independent and are still making their own decisions, so at 92 and 86, I guess things could be scarier.

    My thoughts are with you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You Mom is a very attractive lady Linda. Its nice that she has family to visit her occasionally. Seems like she prefers her independence. - Dave

    ReplyDelete
  7. She's a real cutie, Linda. I wish my mom was still around; she died at 69, way too young, and I still miss her. That's a good picture of your mom, laughing and looking radiant.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your Mother looks like she is in pretty good shape, and having a great time!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.