Thursday, September 9, 2010

9/9/10

It's a day when the promised sun does not seem to want to make an appearance. It's a slow day. I'm still working on ways to exercise while I get my heel pain under control. Tomorrow morning I'll see a podiatrist to see what he has to offer. In the mean time, I continue to do the home remedies, with some improvement. And in my quest for exercise, Tuesday we picked up a stationary bicycle that I'm borrowing from the sister-in-law of a friend. It's a recumbent style, which only works quads really, one muscle group. But I can actually read folded sections of the newspaper while I pedal, so that's something. I'm making it my venue for reading the editorial page. I'm working my way slowly to improved time and distance - 4 miles in 22 minutes today. But I don't even raise a sweat on that yet, since I have the resistance set somewhat low. So I feel I need to continue my work out on the torture machine, my Nordic track skier. I added another 12 minute mile here, which leaves me dripping with sweat. I do my stretching and floor exercise before I use the machines. So now I have an hour invested, more if I stop to catch my breath. Then I need a cool down before I hit the shower. I'm trying to decide what is the best time of day to do this. Today I started at 10:00, leaving time to digest my breakfast. But then it's noon before I get to anything else. I took my sewing machine in for service yesterday and renewed my service contract, since I have a habit of breaking things on it. I hope to get back to sewing next week. Tom and I are returning to Whidbey Island tomorrow for a long weekend without anybody else around. We need to trim the garden, do a couple of small projects, go the the Bayview Farmers Market and to Langley for coffee. And we have the football season beginning this week so we'll fly the Seahawks flag and hope they play a decent game on Sunday afternoon. And since I can't take my exercise torture machines with me, I'll get a reprieve! Tonight we have a Sounders soccer match at Qwest Field. I'll do the walking necessary for riding the light rail, the march to the match, and the standing in the stadium. We do love our Sounders! GO! FIGHT! WIN!

9 comments:

  1. Linda, good that you are finding ways to exercise. You are better than lazy gigi. Have fun tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Linda, I'm impressed. Your exercising is hard work. We had a Nordic Track once, that thing near kills you.

    I'm seeing the doctor in the morning about a knee problem that's kept me off my walking schedule the last few days. Got to keep those feet and legs moving, otherwise we're done for.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Every year it seems to get harder to get the exercise we need to stay healthy. The body doesn't want to cooperate. It's good that you keep trying. I fell on my face hiking last week but I'll keep doing it, I'll just try to be a bit more careful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aaaack! We really are sisters at heart. Good gosh! Linda, I've got the exact same Nordic Trak! We're having a treadmill delivered today, however. I HOPE I use it more than the Nordic Trak.

    ReplyDelete
  5. way to go, exercising and sweating or exerting enough to is soooooo important! Go girl go!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I sold the Nordic Trac two months after we got it -- kept falling off! I do most of my workouts on the elliptical, which I really like.

    A weekend with just the two of you! sounds wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your perseverance will pay off, Linda. And I did try my brother's Nordic Track once long ago, and you're right: in no time at all I was pouring sweat. A torture machine is right! Glad you're getting to take a weekend off. Hope you get some reprieve from that heel pain soon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I do hope your pain is disappearing. You certainly try your very best to exercise no matter what! I wished I could be half as exercise conscious as you are!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I do hope your pain is disappearing. You certainly try your very best to exercise no matter what! I wished I could be half as exercise conscious as you are!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.