Wednesday, September 22, 2010

The Lacuna

It is with chagrin that I realize and admit how little history I know of North America during the first half of the 20th century. I was born in 1944, so I have very little personal recollection. Our high school history books didn't go that far, or else we never got to the final chapters. And so it was with great interest that I read The Lacuna, the latest novel by Barbara Kingsolver. I'm a Kingslover fan, having read most of her books, and I also enjoy historical fiction, which this is. Set in Mexico and the US from 1929 through the early 50's, it follows the life of a fictional boy/man born in the US to an American father and a Mexican mother. At the age of twelve Harrison Shepherd and his mother come to live in Mexico, where Harrison eventually becomes cook and sometime secretary/typist in the household of the artists Diego Rivera and Frida Kahlo, and who through them and their idealistic communism, meets and serves the exiled Lev Trotsky. - When Trotsky is murdered by Stalin's assassin, Shepherd, now a emotionally damaged young man, returned to the states, where he eventually settles in North Carolina and becomes a renowned writer of fiction set in ancient Mexico. - So now for history we have the depression era, the second world war, and the political turmoil of the communist witch hunt decade following the war, a time when art and artists came under scrutiny and were frequently destroyed by false charges of communist activity or leanings. - This book has been described as "provocative", "rich and daring", a treatise on politics and art. It is said to appeal to "lovers of language". The Seattle Times is quoted as saying "A sweeping mural of sensory delights and stimulating ideas...Readers will feel the sting of connection between then and now." - I found all of these claims to be true for me. The parallels between the anti-communism era and the politics of now are startling in their use of the power of fear driven politics. There is much food for thought. - And yet, as a lover of language, I reveled in the elegance of the words. Here is an example, in a letter from Shepherd to Frida: November 2, 1943 Dear Frida, A glittering shower falls at a slant across my window. Some form of god has come to visit our dark autumn tunnel, like Zeus making himself a beam of light to impregnate Danae. In this case, it is not really glittering light but beech leaves. You've never seen anything as dramatic as these American trees, dying their thousand deaths. The giant beech next door intends to shiver off every hair of its pelt. The world strips and goes naked, the full year of arboreal effort piling on sidewalks in flat, damp strata. The earth smells of smoke and rainstorms, calling everything to come back, lie down, submit to a quiet, moldy return to the cradle of origins. This is how we celebrate the Day of the Dead in America: by turning up our collars against the scent of earthworms calling us home. - The characters are richly described and well developed. Much of the drama of the setting is real, factual. And it all comes together in the hands of one endearing character we ladies of a certain age will appreciate and hope to emulate, the generous, courageous, and wise Violet Brown.

10 comments:

  1. How interesting to read your thoughts on La Lacuna. I read it in August and really had to struggle with it, in the beginning. I, too, am a fan of Kingsolver, and had looked forward to a new book with pleasure. I found that the first 50 or so pages were difficult to grasp, but enjoyed it more as I read on. Like you, I found the political parallels disturbing and the imagery brilliant.
    I have just finished a new book by Canadian author Michael Crummey - it's called Galore, and it's set in Newfoundland.

    ReplyDelete
  2. sounds like a well written novel to enjoy...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Barbara Kingsolver is one of my favorite authors. I still love "The Poisonwood Bible" more than any book I have ever read, but "The Lacuna" was a delight. No one can describe things in such vivid detail. I also had a hard time getting into the first pages, but it just got better and better. Your review is excellent.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I must read this book. I love historical fiction and I love Barbara Kingsolver's works. I've read 3-4 of her novels so far and taught The Poisonwood Bible in my AP English Lit class. Right now I'm deep into my second reading of "The Help." It's excellent, so I started re-reading it the day I finished reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. On your recommendation, which was excellently written, I will read the book. I hate to admit that I've not read her before. I just never have gotten around to reading "The Poisonwood Bible" even though it has been on my to read shelf for years. I will read "The Lacuna" soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm a great fan of Kingsolver and I purchased THE LACUNA about two months ago. I'll save reading your post until I've finished the book. Having read all of her novels except for THE LACUNA, I can say that I love them all, but my favorite is PRODIGAL SUMMER -- akin to Rachel Carson's ground-breaking book.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your own review is excellent, Linda. I tend to read only memoirs, though.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those words are poetry, Linda. It's so beautiful. I think I started Pigs in Heaven. It's on my shelf. However, right now I'm into Three Cups of Tea. I sure did enjoy reading your book review.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree with you Linda. I loved the language in that letter. We don't get much of that sort of beautiful language these days. I'm afraid tha most of our novels are written in verbs, not adjectives - Dave

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, I wrote a long post about this, and it vanished, and was unable to post.. Wow, I'm not rewriting it.

    But I think I'd enjoy this book a lot Linda.

    Nice review!
    I like this quote, in fact I can smell it, and feel it.

    "This is how we celebrate the Day of the Dead in America: by turning up our collars against the scent of earthworms calling us home."

    Your header is nice BTW.. Nice capture.

    Kay, I throughly enjoyed Three Cups of Tea, it inspired me to my core!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.