Thursday, September 23, 2010

Princess Leia Costume

The original classic Stars Wars movies and spin off products are big again as the first generation is introducing the movies to their kids. Jill and the kids had a Star Wars film fest this summer when it was too hot to be outside. Now Isaac is crazy about Star wars and especially Darth Vader, who he wants to be for Halloween. This is not a costume I can make - too much hardware - so I ordered one on line and had it sent to him. Jill decided she and Corey could be Jedi warriors and is actually going to use her sewing machine!!! to make costumes for herself and Corey . (Obi-Mom-Kanobe). My assignment was to make Irene's costume, Princess Leia of course! Star Wars patterns are out of print, although you can find vintage patterns on eBay, for a pretty price. So I decided to dig through my old stuff to see what I could find.
I had my own vintage stock, at least 30 years old, that I used to make a witch costume and even a Princess Leia costume for Jill when she was little.
-
This is how a purchased costume would look.
OK, I think I can replicate that.
-
I went on line to find instructions on adding a collar and a hood, and found these models.
I bought some polyester gabardine fabric that was heavy enough, drapes well, and was on sale and cheap. I bought enough to allow for a few oops if they happened. I engineered it in my head when I was supposed to be sleeping.
-
Then this week I finally tackled the project, and it went together quite well. And here is the finished product.
I boxed it up and shipped it to Colorado this morning.

14 comments:

  1. Linda, that is amazing. You did very good! I do hope the two of you will be able to be in Colorado for halloween. It was so much fun reading about it last year and looking at your pictures.

    Was it halloween when an ice storm came and school turned out that Isaac didn't get to take his treats to school?

    I'm excited about you family's halloween events. Jill's ideas and creations fascinate me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's a young girl in Colorado who will be extremely excited and happy to get this costume. You did a wonderful job making it. And to think the original pattern cost only $1.50! Patterns are way, way overpriced today. (Be sure to share with us a photo of the entire Star Wars Colorado family when you get it.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Linda, yes we will be in Colorado for Halloween again this year. But they all need their costumes by October 15th, for a Boy Scouts activity, which is new for Isaac this year. And yes, we had a pre-Halloween blizzard last year in Fort Morgan, and school was cancelled along with the treats. We're hoping for clear skies and 70 this year. In Colorado you never know.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice, Linda. You are a creative cookie!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow - that was well done. I'll be there'll be a very happy girl in Colorado.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good gracious! If I don't watch it, my granddaughter is going to trade me in for you. That outfit is fantastic. Irene will be totally thrilled!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That outfit was brilliant Linda! You are a true magician with your mind and hands. Star Wars was big here when the movies came out and I took my two older kids to all of them (Jill hated sci-fi and stayed home with our youngest). The two older ones and I became true Star Wars fans. Still are and I'm now 70!

    ReplyDelete
  8. All I can say is, WOW! I am sorry to say that my sewing machine has still not done any projects like this, since I don't have any kids to sew for, and I pretty much use it to mend and alter things. If I had someone to teach me how to do things like this, I might venture into the realm of creativity. I'm so impressed!

    ReplyDelete
  9. that's beautiful
    I love how the back drapes :)
    wonderful work

    ReplyDelete
  10. what talent, you could get a part time job as grandma costumes...looks great. i had 4 sons who loved star wars and last halloween by 44 year old was dressed in a giant jedi warrior costume with his 5 year old son in one also.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Can't wait to see it Linda! I guess you'll be going for halloween..I've been thinking about sewing lately. I looked at a new machine yesterday. I haven't gone electronic yet, but I don't use a treadle!
    I still like my touch n sew feature of built in bobbin winder..I don't know why that didn't take off..

    ReplyDelete
  12. My assignment was to make Irene's costume, Princess Leia of course! Star Wars patterns are out of print, although you can find vintage patterns ... leiacostume.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.