Monday, September 6, 2010

Work and Play on Whidbey Island

After years of talking about it, Jake declared this weekend was the time to do it. The project was to build a floating finger pier in the lagoon for launching the canoe and kayaks, sparing the boaters a walk in the muck.
-
Tom brought his tools when we went up Friday. That afternoon he went shopping for the lumber. Jan had been storing foam floatation which we had picked up last week and hauled, strapped to the top of our van. Jake arrived late Friday night.
-
The work began Saturday. There seemed to be a few hitches when I left for the grocery store, but when I got back the project was well under way.
Coffee break time for Tom.
Kiley came to lend a hand.
Jan came to inspect the progress.
Bird watching is always on her list of activities.
Sky watching is on mine.
They had to hurry because the tide was coming in, then the wait to see- does it float?
The tide was not high enough to get the full answer, but after finishing up Sunday morning, the dock was declared a success. -
By 1:30 it was time to start the official Phosie-Gertie Picnic. First on the agenda, the flag raising.
The Vintage cabin next door, one of the few old cabins left, is part of the family compound.
With the tide coming in, we had to get to the beach for the sand castle contest while we could.
The theme was sports. The rules are that you have ten minutes, and you can only use what you find on the beach.
Looks like stadiums are in the planning of several teams.
This one was Ski To Sea.
Then everyone had to explain their work to the judges. Kids were encouraged to give their versions.
Somewhere along the way I managed to put a grease smear on my camera lens, so some folks have a aura, and my official family photos are less than clear. Grrr.
-
We did have to take two family photos because the California Reeders had to leave early to catch a plane, and Cousin Dean was still representing the family at the annual water meeting. - Family Photo #1
The hit of the picnic was the new dock. The kids played all kinds of imaginary games as they christened it with seaweed.
Of course there was food.
And lots of visiting.
Chef Tom manned the grills.
Family Photo #2
After eating, during which I did not take any photos, because I was too busy participating (in the eating), it was time for the water balloon throwing contest.
-
When my partner and I went out, I grabbed my camera to get the finalists.
Then we awarded the Saddle Show Award. I can only explain this by saying that the original award was named after a beach neighbor who will remain nameless. After all these years we still protect the secret within the family. At any rate it is to be awarded by the previous winner to the next, based on some achievement or addition to the family. This year Don presented it to Jake for building the new dock.
And we're pretty sure that dock floats. We know the kids love it.

16 comments:

  1. I actually kind of like the foggy feeling from the grease stain, Linda! And I recognize your new banner from this group of pictures. Wonderful experience you had building the dock and entering the sand castle contest. And all the rest. Thanks so much for bringing me along! Happy Labor Day to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a fun and productive weekend! I haven't been to a picnic in over 10 years! LOL. I guess I am not much of an outdoors person, despite living in Hawaii.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How fun! And you got so much accomplished at the same time! That's terrific! Hope you have a great week!

    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  4. And the weather was so great last weekend - excellent timing for your gathering.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like fun was had by all, wish we could have been there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have been looking at your past posts and am pleased I did. We have a lot of basil in our planters. I had not thought about making pesto and freezing it – what a great idea. My food processor broke but I may be able to use my blender. I like your pictures by the sea – you must have a lot of fun there. I also liked your family pictures. How nice to have such a large family I would think. I only have one cousin left in France and she won’t come here. I also have another cousin but he is in Egypt. If I had a family gathering on my side, it would be me and pictures of them!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful place to play with family! I know you love going there.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for sharing your week-end. I'm so amazed at all the "family traditions" your family has in place. I'd say this event was quite successful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh wow, Linda! What an amazing weekend you're having. How wonderful to all be able to get together. Those family photos will be priceless someday. Well, they're priceless now, but even more so later. I just love the idea of being outdoors and doing all those fun things and then eating outside. Yum! What a fabulous time!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for inviting us to your Phosie-Gertie gathering. Well documented and well done Tom for you great effort with the floating dock - Dave

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am in much awe over all that your family does together, just wonderful! I love hearing of your traditional activities and how much fun it must be for all ages to come together and celebrate. What a nice dock to launch from. Many wonderful memories must come home with each person.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congrats on the floating dock! Very interesting -- I'm impressed by Tom's supervisory skills.

    What a perfect weekend you all had -- especially the visiting part and the sharing of the food.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is a great looking dock! Loved the idea of a themed sand castle contest. I'll have to try that on my munchkins. I like your new banner picture!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow....what a great family you have, and what a delightful family gathering you offer us here. Thank you so much. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. You probably knew that I would mention my desire to be adopted!! Your family is so active and it looks like lots of fun. You are very blessed!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.