Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Change of Plans

We were going to travel about 100 miles south of Seattle for Thanksgiving dinner at my sister's house, where about 25 of us were gathering together. But the plan has changed. Due to the ice and snow still on the local streets, and a chance of more snow tomorrow before it begins to gradually warm up and turn to rain, we have opted to stay home and cook Thanksgiving dinner here. I bought a turkey last week, as I always do when the price drops, to put in the freezer for some future meal. When we decided yesterday morning to change plans, we got it out to thaw, and walked to the local Safeway for the other trimmings we would need for our traditional meal. - Today I have been cooking. - The pumpkin pie is done. The berry pie is just out of the oven. The cranberry sauce is cooling. The yams are baked and awaiting an orange glaze and reheating tomorrow. The stuffing bread is cubed and drying out.
The turkey is sufficiently thawed, so it is back in the refrigerator. This afternoon I will pull out the giblets and make stock for the stuffing and gravy. Then I'll cook up mushrooms, sausage, onions, celery and herbs and assemble the stuffing, which will then go into the frig to await the turkey tomorrow.
So now the question is "Who will be here to eat it all'? Hopefully we will have nine people around our table: Tom's sister and her partner, my aunt and cousin who live in Ballard, son Jake and two of his friends who don't have family to gather with.
-
And if we get more snow and not rain, they are all invited to come on Friday and we'll just heat it all up again and eat the leftovers.
-
What will be, will be. We still have much to be thankful for.
Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!

8 comments:

  1. The same to you, Linda. That is one fabulous looking spread. And if things turn out the way they are forecast, everyone will be there with little problem. And that pumpkin pie looks like perfection itself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your food preparations always look delicious and I think you're wise to avoid the roads! I took the bus to the acupuncturist this morning and it was a nightmare!! Hope you have a great, safe, peaceful, Happy Thanksgiving!!

    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  3. You took the bus, Sylvia? Whoa! Not after watching Linda's video yesterday! LOL

    Happy Thanksgiving, Linda! You have a great looking spread.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tell me again what time we start eating? I wish I could have my feet under your table. The food looks wonderful and the company sounds like a delightful group. I'd love to be there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. sound delicious. we'll be heading out tomorrow morning for a 4.5 hr trip north to my son's where he always cooks our holiday dinners. had a huge blizzard yesterday so we're waiting for the roads to clear and less traffic. happy thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your attitude about an unexpected change in plans, and also love the looks of the delicious foods you're preparing. Those pies are gorgeous! Happy Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good gosh! I can't believe what you put together after a last minute change of plans. You are a wonder, Linda. Everything looks fabulous. However did you get that turkey thawed so quickly? We're having Thanksgiving tonight because of scheduling difficulties in our family.

    Happy Thanksgiving!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The food looks great! How super is it that you are so flexible and can just adapt to the weather. I hope you had a wonderful dinner together.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.