Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Sewing Project #2: Clothes for Irene

Jill emailed me this photo of a fleece jumper and tee shirt, and asked if I could make it.
Oh, good, I thought. A challenge and a chance to be a little bit creative while I learn/re-learn something new.
-
So when JoAnn's had no-pill fleece on sale, off I went. I was secure about the fleece sewing, but I had not done tee shirts for about 30 years! I bought fabric and made the jumper, but didn't like what I picked out for the tee once I had the jumper made. So last week I went back and found a better selection. In fact I couldn't decide, so I bought two pieces.
-
This one is like the original photo.
And the plain colored one I actually like best.
And thank you, Tom, for giving me that serger last year for Christmas. It's so easy to make tee shirts with a serger!
-
I always make a winter dress/jumper for Irene with a twirly skirt. She likes to "swish". I shopped early for a good choice of corduroy. The tee shirt fabric is a piece I've had for quite a while, that finally found a purpose. (remember, you can click any photo to enlarge if you want details)
Now I've started on a project for Isaac.
-
But the sky is bright, if not quite clear, and no rain today, so I'm putting the sewing on hold. I'll go outside and work with Tom. We have outside lights to finish, some cleaning up to do, and some bulbs to get in the ground, if the soil is finally thawed out after our deep freeze.
-
Today I'll get natural Vitamin D.

11 comments:

  1. LOVE those jumpers! What adorable patterns. They almost make me want to whip up some jumpers for Violet. i made one for her last year but then ran out of steam. Irene will be thrilled with those new duds.

    ReplyDelete
  2. darling jumpers...I love the blue tshirts it brings out the jumper colors. Wish I had a serger...but I'll just stay with writing for now. Although I do have a cute little almost one year old grand daughter I love to buy clothes for...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those outfits are definitely superb, Linda! Wow! Better than store bought clothes. Will she be wearing them to school or just on special occasions?

    ReplyDelete
  4. gigi, Irene loves to dress up. she will wear them everywhere, including to school.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I admire your work!
    It's nice to get a chance to get some of that natural vitamin D -- I hope you and Tom enjoy your day outside.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are so incredibly talented! I looked at sergers when I bought my sewing machine, but I still haven't gotten excited about any particular project. It would certainly help to have people asking for things, like they do you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Is there no end to your talents, lady? The jumpers are so cute. And I love the picture of the bird on the snow capped branch.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the jumpers...good for you!
    I was on LInda's blog and saw your comment in regards to Harvey the cat so thought I'd pop in for a visit.
    I use to love to sew! I made all of my clothes and plenty for my nieces and nephews but now just stick to curtains, table coverings, etc...lovely work!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love that she likes to 'swish' :)

    I like the plain tee best as well

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just love seeing all your sewing projects, Linda. You are such an amazing, creative seamstress. It's always fun to see what else you've created. Your grandchildren are truly blessed.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.