Sunday, January 2, 2011

Getting the Year Off to a Good Start

Gigi asked me if we had food at these events. Oh, my, YES! The event in question is our annual family gathering, occuring sometime during the holidays, with the dual purpose of gathering all the Oregon/Washington members of my immediate family together, and celebrating our mother-grandmother-great grandmother's birthday. My brother Hank and his wife Cindy hosted, and carved the roast beast. My sister Ilene has been struggling, with her husband Mike in and out of the hospital and now in a rehab center, due to complications of colon surgery. We were so glad she made it here, and she even managed to produce her annual family calendar, comprised of family photos we send her. I didn't get a photo of the main course spread, but there were salads and bread and scalloped potatoes to go with the roast beef. Yes, Gigi, pot luck And then there were the desserts! My sister Laurie assisted with the lighting of the candles on the birthday cake. The great grandchildren gathered around.
And we all sang Happy Birthday to our 89 year old mother, from who all these blessings flowed.
There was more fun, with a White Elephant gift exchange before we all dispersed into the night.
-
To continue the "right start", Tom and I will be going on a destination walk this morning, heel pain be damned. We do still have some goodies to finish off, and then it's back to a healthy diet.
-
The new year has begun.

9 comments:

  1. What a great beginning to the new year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like a wonderful family gathering/birthday celebration, and oh, the food!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Now that's a wonderful family gathering, and everyone I am SURE appreciated all the good food. You are so fortunate to be able to gather everyone together like this, Linda. And thanks for inviting me! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Simply wonderful! Family, food, and fun. The 3 Fs, what could be better? Love the looks of those desserts, you know me and my sweet tooth!

    I know what you mean. I, too, must go on a diet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You had some wonderful gatherings with a great family.

    As far as the diet goes, I think we are all saying the same thing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yae! You KNOW how I love pot lucks! Looks like you guys had a great time. Your mom looks terrific!
    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  7. looks like a fun family party with great food. enjoy the new year...

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great photo with your mother and all the children! Happy birthday to her!!

    PS The food looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks like a happy gathering Linda. I'm sure you all enjoyed your re-union - Dave

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.