Thursday, May 26, 2011

The Birdies Do Sing

Although it looks like it could rain any minute now, it didn't rain for most of the day.  That allowed me to get out for a walk this morning, and this afternoon Tom and I worked in the yard.

The garden is filled with bird songs these days, and it's aflutter with birds flitting everywhere. 

After I came in and sat down in my recliner, I was drawn to the action at the bird feeders outside the window. 

Tom had just refilled the bird feeders.  The red breasted nut hatch likes the suet.
We are very excited to have Bewicks wrens once again nesting in the bird bottle.  This bird bottle came from Colonial Williamsburg many years ago, and for the last few years the wrens have owned it.

 Pine siskins are sunflower seed gluttons.
 Robins work the ground, this one in the driveway at the base of the wall.
 Chestnut backed chickadees breed here too.
Just recently we've seen the House finches return.

Just as I was getting ready to download these photos, I caught a glimpse if this black-headed grosbeak.  Yesterday an evening grosbeak visited.  We hadn't seen one of those for a long time.  They used to come in a flock every year for a few days.
The birdies and I both enjoyed the sun today.

12 comments:

  1. Gorgeous photos of gorgeous birds, Linda! It's so much fun to see the wonderful variety of bird life you have.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't you just love birdwatching? I have a bunch of feeders and houses in my backyard, too. They are a joy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. not that much variety here in my neighborhood unfortunately.

    ReplyDelete
  4. While we were camping there was a brazen nuthatch that came looking for a handout, it landed on my shoe and then on my hand.
    A bird bottle? I've never seen one, I wonder if the house wren that hangs around would like it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely!
    I've found that for the past week or so the birds have been particularly vociferous! The robins have such a pretty song.
    We have a family of blue birds nesting in our box -- first time. And that bottle nest is quite spiffy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have been awaken by the song birds early in the morning lately. It is actually a pleasant way to wake up. Later in the summer and into fall it will be the crows outside the bedroom window. Their caw-cawing is not so soothing, but it does get amusing so I get up laughing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. how great that you are enjoying good weather the birdies...fun photos...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Linda,
    So glad you had sun! Doesn't it make a world of difference in the attitude?
    The birds are beautiful and you have a variety there...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I loved seeing all of the birds. Your garden must be listed on the birds "must see and stop at" list. I have had purple finches lately but no sign of the blue birds. Also a chipmunk who loves the thistle seed feeders, birds cannot get near it as he seems to have decided to live on it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am impressed with the large variety of birds you get there Linda. Well done for being able to attract them too. Your photos are great! - Dave

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love all the birds in your garden. They are so much fun to watch.

    We all have been having google/blogger problems. Let's hope it is a quick fix. MB

    ReplyDelete
  12. You have some different birdy visitors than I do...thanks for feeding them...

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.