Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Yard Art

I like yard art.  No, not pink flamingos and garden gnomes, although they can be fun too.  And not expensive sculptures - can't afford those.  But just fun things that add color, interest, or just a bit of humor.

Last year I showed the glass art Tom and I created out of old household glass.  That became my most visited posting!   Well, it's back, with a few new additions.





And there are the little things, like this little flower fairy.
This "installation" has a history.  The pot is my great grandmother's rendering kettle, in which fat was melted into lard.  The mosaic tray/table top was created by Tom's mother, in her mosaic phase.
 A bird house created by Tom, with a Green Man.
 A concrete leaf - purchased.


 We do have mosquitoes, but not quite this large.
Ribbit.  These creatures inhabit our dry stream and pond, made of rock we removed from the lawn area, many years ago.



Many of these objets d'art were given to us as gifts over the years.  Like this dragon, a gift from son Jake, and the object of lots of fun when the grandkids were younger.  He controlled the bridge, and we had to pay him with M&M's to get safely across. Of course we only pretended to toss them; you don't waste M&Ms


 This motto works for me.



We love Carruth plaques, and have quite a collection.  These are just part of the collection.
This wood spirit came all the way from the Black Forest in Germany.

Callisto, Jake's cat, really did park herself here and menace the birds.  She lives on in stone.
Of course the real art in a garden is the plants. And June is busting out all over!

10 comments:

  1. What great art! Makes me want to try my hand at it. Only in my dreams, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If we ever get ourselves to Seattle again someday, can I come over? You should sell tickets to see your garden! Totally amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice! I would buy flowers for my patio, but who would water them while we are on vacation? Can't count on my daughters!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your gardens are so interesting and beautiful. What excellent care they receive from you two. (My favorite is the ant.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. fun whimsical creations...your garden is well cared for!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love these!! You all are so artistic! And how perfect for a dry creek: a dry duck!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never seen such a large collection of unique and beautiful yard art, Linda. Your garden is lovely and very inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree, you should have garden tours. I think you would sell a lot of tickets. But then, if folks were tramping about all the time, the enchanted, soothing look would be gone. Your yard art is truly amazing and speaks to your creativity.

    ReplyDelete
  9. WOW! I am in awe of your beautiful garden. It has to be one of the most gorgeous ones I have ever seen. The glass art is so colorful and strking against the green. I could spend hours and hours in your garden! And yes, you could sell tickets for a garden tour easily.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Our town holds a garden tour in the spring as a fund raiser for the library. Your garden is certainly tour worthy. I do like your garden decorations--whimsical but not going over the top and detracting from the garden itself.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.