Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Cooking Up a Storm

The November rain storm continues outside.  Inside the house is full of the great aromas of Thanksgiving food.


This morning I picked up the little arrangement I ordered for the table.  Then we pulled the giblets out of the perfectly defrosted turkey, added celery, onion and fresh herbs, and as the stock simmered, the good smells began.  


Tom went outside to clean up the front walk and driveway and to pick fresh herbs from the garden.


Next I started the base for the brine for the turkey.  More good smells.  Then the cranberry orange sauce.  Yum.  Yams went into the oven to bake.  After lunch and a workout on the stationary bike, I started the stuffing.


I chopped the herbs that Tom had prepped, diced onion and celery and mushrooms.  Sausage, then mushrooms went into one pan, celery and onions and herbs in the other.

The stock had cooled and was strained. When everything was cooled, it all went together with the white and wheat bread cubes and one package of prepared cornbread stuffing.
It's now in the refrigerator, awaiting tomorrow morning.  The turkey is in the brine and in the cool garage.


The table is set.  Here's a peek.
There's still plenty to do tomorrow, but it's all under control.  Guests are expected about 1:00 or before.  Dinner is set for 2:00, but that all depends on the turkey.


And lest I forget, Tom and I have so much to be thankful for.  There is not a day that goes by that I don't think about how fortunate we are.  


HAPPY THANKSGIVING TO YOU ALL.  May your turkey be tasty, and your day filled with friendship and love, and gratitude.

8 comments:

  1. wow are you ready...table set and all. happy thanksgiving...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everything looks nice, Linda. HAPPY THANKSGIVING to you and Tom!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So beautiful and elegant. I know tomorrow will be wonderful, with a new range and surrounded by your fabulous family... Happy Thanksgiving. We have a lot to be thankful for!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Everything looks fantastic and delicious! I, too, have so much to be thankful for as I think many of us do -- different, but no less wonderful and like you, not a day goes by that I don't say thank you for all the wonderful, beautiful things in my life! Have a beautiful, wonderful and very Happy Thanksgiving, Linda!

    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh wow! I am so impressed. I love the idea of getting the stuffing ready the night before. That is terrific. This year, my brother and sister-in-law are taking care of the turkey. I'll have to remember this for next year. I can just imagine those wonderful smells coming from your house. Yummmm....

    You and Tom are amazing! Have a terrific Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely table you've set...so inviting. I cooked a small turkey yesterday as my husband had to work today at the hospital so we will have our turkey dinner tonight. I prepared a meal to take to his 98 year old grandmother and spent the afternoon with her..a most enjoyable day. I hope you had an awesome day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hope you had a happy thanksgiving Linda. You food sounded terrific! - Dave

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.