Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Pie!

This week is all about Thanksgiving - preparing for the big day.  


I should start off by saying how wonderful it is to have all the time needed to do all we want to do.  Retirement is such a blessing!


Yesterday we cleaned house thoroughly, and I made pie dough. 


The experts all say you should thoroughly chill the dough before rolling it out.  I used to just make it and bake it.  It usually worked just fine. I have also taken to using a food processor to make the pie dough, knowing that you have to be careful not to over do the mixing or the water.  I have played with butter vs shortening amounts.  It seems like the more I know, the harder time I have getting the dough just right so that it rolls out easily.


Well, this morning I did OK with the hazelnut dough for the pumpkin pie, which is something new this year. The pie crust, that is.  The filling recipe is straight off the Libby can.


But when I tried to roll out the dough for the apple pie, it was a crumbly mess.  I was watching Martha Stewart at the time, and she was making pie dough, so I just stopped and watched.  She added more water and pulsed the processor longer.  


So I threw away the crumbly mess, whipped up a new batch, with more water and a few seconds more pulsing, rolled it out right then, plopped in the apple filling that was ready and waiting and put it in the oven.  Wa-lah.  Perfect pie.  


I baked a few scraps and tasted it so I know it's as good as it looks. 


This apple pie is called 'Mother's Comfort Pie', and it's a recipe son Jake linked through Facebook.  It has Tillamook extra sharp cheddar cheese in the crust and in the filling.  I hope it's tasty, and comforting. ;-)


Tom has the bar-be-que grill and the apple wood chips ready to go for cooking the turkey on Thursday.  The turkey is thawing.   Tom also dug some carrots and beets and parsnips from the garden for the roasted vegetable medley.


That's it for today.  I'll go do my work out in the stationary bike, since it's one of those nasty, cold and rainy, gray days outside.    The house is cozy though, with the smell of baked pie.


Tomorrow there is a long list of prep to do, including fun things like setting and decorating the table.

9 comments:

  1. Those pies do look scrumptious. Nothing wrong with the crust now, I'd say. I can almost smell them. Mmmmm.... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you've got a great head start Linda. I will be very interested in what you think of the Mother's Comfort Pie. Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My SIL is in charge of desserts, as usual. Last year, she bought pumpkin crunchies from the bakery. Wonderful and unusual!

    ReplyDelete
  4. your pies look just like grandma used to bake...but you are the grandma now and an expert with Martha's help...lol! I bought mine 4 sugar free pumpkin pies at a local bakery and we'll travel north where my son will cook the entire dinner! I am retired...yippee!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah, I could do with some of that pie on this rainy, gray, miserable night! Looks delicious!

    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  6. The pies look wonderful. I was just wondering today if I could still make a pie. i was pretty good at it in my day, but I haven't made one for years. I'm planning on trying again this year. I'll try it in the processor. I always could 'feel' when the dough was right when I was younger.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That does it! I need to buy plane tickets and go over to your house for Thanksgiving. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful pies.
    I use half Crisco and half butter for my crust, but I just don't make a pie very often...because we just can't help eating them if they are around.

    ReplyDelete
  9. hazlenut crust sounds so good!!
    and the pies look wonderful

    have a great day
    hugs to all

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.