Saturday, February 4, 2012

Antiquing

We spent much of this beautiful Saturday inside, at the big antique show at the Puyallup Fair Grounds.


It's always fun to find new things, items you've never seen before, and learn about then.  History is also a big part of antique shows, through old photos, books, maps, posters, tools, and every day household items.


It's also fun to look for treasures to add to collections, or even start new collections, just because you like something so much.


Here are my purchases for the day.

The little yellow pot I will add to my collection of similar plant pots.  Some even have plants in them.  Others are sometimes candy dishes or nut bowls.  I like to us them unconventionally.


The spatula is an advertising piece.  It says "United Bakery".  That's not enough information to know where it came from, but it's one I don't have yet.  I have quite a large collection of these give-away advertising pieces.


The two baby plates are the old porcelain kind that were warmed up on the wood stove.  I love the verse on this one.  You can click to enlarge the photo.


I set out to find a sparkly pin for the month of February, to wear on my fleece.  I found this one.
None of these items cost very much, and we had a lot of fun shopping.  We arrived at the show at 9:30 and left at 2:15.  I actually finished before Tom did, so I went outside and at in the sun to wait for him.

It was officially 63 today!  After we got back home, I worked on some laundry, caught up with mail and email, and then went for a short walk in the neighborhood.  Children had sprouted everywhere!

Tomorrow morning we'll gather at a restaurant in Tacoma for brunch, and to celebrate Corey's birthday.  He arrived this morning, fortunate to be able to get out of Denver after the blizzard there yesterday.  I hope to have time to walk off the big meal before watching the Super Bowl.  I don't really care that much about it, but I have to watch the commercials!

Update: I had a very busy afternoon with Isaac and Irene yesterday.  We played at the park, and then made birthday gifts for their Daddy.  And I still managed to make a good dinner for Jill and the kids, including a home baked berry pie.  
Tom applied double washers to the sink fittings and the leak problem seems to be fixed.  He made good progress on the storm debris pile.

6 comments:

  1. always something to do around your place...enjoy your family...

    ReplyDelete
  2. We love going to antique sales. I wish Corey could find a job in Seattle quickly. This commuting thing must be hard on Jill and the grandchildren.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am curious as to what Tom bought at the sale. Have a great time at the restaurant tomorrow. What did the kids make for their dad?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to hear Corey got out before the storm. And your purchases are all pretty. I also love the quote on that plate.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, nice treasures from the antique fair. I've never been to one, but this might inspire me to try! :) I love the little flower pot best.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the little plates...and of course a cherry pie

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.