Sunday, March 18, 2012

A Good Result!

It didn't rain,
It didn't snow.
We won the game,
Way to go!
SOUNDERS!
I hope my soccer family will excuse my self indulgence on this one.  But we had fun!

Tom was scheduled to participate in the opening ceremonies of the Sounders home opener.  We went in early, arriving at the stadium about 4:00.  We met up with our North End Faithful (NEF) supporter team, and then the other representatives from the other supporter groups. 

 Eventually we were on the field, ready for practice.  Our third member didn't arrive in time, so, guess what!  I was drafted!

 We spent about an hour doing walk-throughs, and I tested out if I really could jog out onto the center field.  Yep, I made it, several times!


Then we walked up to Occidental Park, where we met Jill, serving as banner carrier for the Emerald City Supporters (ECS), the really big and very active supporter group that leads the March to the Match.
 Scarves are covering faces because flares are involved.


We joined the March.
 Back at the stadium, we grabbed a quick snack, and then it was time to meet up for the opening ceremonies.


As the music started, that was our cue, and here we come!  Too bad the 38,400 in attendance were mostly late to their seats.
 I left my camera with a fellow supporter in the stands so she could record this for posterity.
 Yep, that's Tom and me, or our posteriors anyway.
 There were flags for every team in MLS.  And then there were fireworks!
 And then it was time to go.  Exit stage left.
 We stowed our flags and got back to our seats in time for "Oh Canada" and The National Anthem.  I do love singing "Oh Canada".
 And then ESC unfurled their latest amazing tifo creation!
 Deployment went very smoothly.  Good job, Jake and ECS Tifo Team.  Jill says she helped paint the red parts.

E Pluribus Sounders, from many nations, one team.

Of course, that was just the beginning.  

It stayed dry, not bitterly cold, and we won the match over Toronto, 3 to 1!

We're back to cold rain again this morning, but for now, I'm good.  We got the break we needed when we needed it most!  St Patrick brought us good luck!

11 comments:

  1. Looks like a great day and a great time had by all!! So glad you were spared our endless RAIN for the day!!! Terrific captures for the day, Linda! Thanks for sharing the fun!

    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll bet it was fun being drafted into the midst of the festivities! Looks like a grand time was had by all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks so exciting and thrilling, Linda. What fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Linda, I got so excited reading this post. I believe you and Tom are growing younger, rather than older. What fun. Amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How exciting! Congratulations!!! I loved all the photos of you on the field. What a thrill! I felt like clapping.

    ReplyDelete
  6. looks like a fun day-good for you jogging onto the field. I doubt I could do that but I did last through an hour long country line dancing class last friday! lol...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yea!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am a Sounders Fan now...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like you had a great time - your poem says it all!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I LOVE how involved you all get!
    wonderful photos, so much color and so many happy people

    the shot where everyone has their face covered has a militant quality that made me smile

    ReplyDelete
  10. It looks like a good time was had by all. Well, maybe not by the Toronto fans.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.