Monday, April 30, 2012

I'll Fly Away

While were were on the Oregon Coast, we purchased a wind sculpture, a Wind Spinner, as the artist creator calls them. This is to be a memorial, placed in our garden, in remembrance of my mother and my uncle.


My aunt, Evelyn Freeman, is my mother's youngest sister.  Due to health issues she was unable to attend my mother's services last November.  In addition to dealing with her own progressing dementia, she has for many years been dealing with her husband's advanced Alzheimer's. Uncle Bill has been in a group home now for several years and no longer knows his wife or children.


Aunt Evelyn gave me some money for a memorial to honor my mother and her "Willie", who, while still living, is gone in the sense of the person he was.


My mother requested the song "I'll Fly Away" be sung at her services.  I think she saw her departure from this world like that, flying away.  Uncle Bill was in the Air Force for many years, and flying was a part of who he was, so I immediately thought of the wind sculptures I had seen in Garibaldi, Oregon.


This is the one we bought.



Today we set it up to see if we liked the placement just off the patio.
 In this location I can see it from the kitchen table where I sit for most meals, from the kitchen window over the sink where I spend a lot of time with food prep, and from my patio table.
I think this is where it will stay.  We will be doing some work at the base, either with plants or a pebble mosaic, and I will have a commemoration plaque made.


Watching this Wind Spinner is mesmerizing.  The patterns it makes are so beautiful.  Here is a sample.






18 comments:

  1. a new element to the blog...video!!! LOVE the spinner...what a great memorial...Brigid

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this Linda. It really is beautiful, and the patterns it makes are really neat. You will treasure this as the years go by.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There are
    takeoffs and takeoffs.

    Some of the body
    and some of the mind.

    But every part,
    every wing,
    propelling through life and later
    carries bouyant memories,
    of beautiful children
    adorned by newer generations,
    happy
    in their sensible green lives.

    And sometimes,
    they come in to land,
    so happy amidst blooming spring flowers.

    She smiles,
    hoping
    the lost one
    recognizes,
    what fun it was
    to get your mind flying....

    (I am a regular reader of your blog, and have learned so much about your part of the country, the people, and the living. This memorial in your garden is so beautiful in concept as well as looks)....Suranga Date, Mumbai

    ReplyDelete
  4. Suranga, thank you so much for the beautiful poetry.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! That is a very impressive wind spinner. Seeing that video really makes you see just how gorgeous it is in action. It is a perfect memorial piece.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love these wind sculptures and will definitely purchase one the minute I win the lottery. There's a shop in Kennebunk that sells them, with various styles on display on their grounds. They're so beautiful to watch. You're bound to get a great deal of pleasure watching yours and thinking of loved ones. (the poem shared above is lovely, isn't it?)

    ReplyDelete
  7. How very beautiful! I love it and think it's perfect. I am glad I watched the video to see how it makes patterns. Thank you for sharing this lovely sculpture and its meaning for you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a beautiful tribute to your mother and a soothing addition to the yard. I have always loved "I'll fly away."

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful sentiment and sculpture.

    ReplyDelete
  10. cool wind sculpture. we bought one from a magazine similar to yours for $100 but it doesn't spin...lol!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very nice and fitting memorial to your mother and uncle, Linda.

    ReplyDelete
  12. it's beautiful Linda
    I love the curves of the blades and the sense of continuous motion

    the song I'll Fly Away is beautiful

    a pebble mosaic at the base sounds wonderful, there is so much meaning and strength in rocks

    I love the photo of you, your expression is beautiful :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my gosh it's wonderful. I'm also happy that you took the video. The photos are great but this shows us it's true beauty in motion. Thanks Linda, and I do love your gorgeous garden.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That wind sculpture certainly is mesmerising Linda, and a nice memorial - Dave

    ReplyDelete
  15. A very nice memorial. It reminds me a bit of a kaleidoscope.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Linda, it is beautiful, alive and interactive. What an excellent idea!

    Kathy M.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.