Monday, May 21, 2012

Moving On

With one project finished, I moved on to the next.  Thank you for all of your kind words about my memorial posts.


Today I finished the embroidery project I had been working on.  For any new readers, I have a Brother sewing machine with computerized embroidery capability.  I was working on a set of embroidered kitchen towels for a personalized wedding gift.


I'm going to show them in my blog, but not link to Facebook this time, and I will probably escape under the radar and my nieces won't find out.





I'll be sending them by mail tomorrow.  I've already purchased and sent a gift off the registry.




Because all of my favorite evening TV programs are now ending for the season, I actually started a book yesterday!  That's also partly because it has been raining nonstop, so my exercising has had to switch to my stationary bike, and I needed something good to read to keep me going, because I sort of hate that kind of exercise. I would much rather go for an aerobic walk.  But I have dutifully done my 10 miles the last two days.


I ordered some the the Henning Mankell Kurt Wallander Mystery series a while back from Amazon.  I might finally have time to read them!
 The Scandinavians do love their bloody murder stories.  Wallander stories are set in southern Sweden.  I have been there, so my mind movie is enhanced by knowing the lay of the land.


And because someone asked, here is the recipe for rhubarb cake.
Beat: 1/2 cup butter
           1 1/2 cups brown sugar
Beat in:  1 egg
               1 tsp vanilla
Stir together: 1 tsp soda
                      1 cup butter milk ( I use 1 Tblesp. lemon juice in 1 c milk)
Add immediately to butter mixture, alternating with:
          2 cups flour
Stir in: 2 generous cups chopped rhubarb
Spread in a greased 9X13 pan


Combine: 1/2 cup sugar
                 1 tsp cinnamon
                  1 tablespoon melted butter
Sprinkle over batter.
Bake 350 for 40 minutes.

14 comments:

  1. Let me see here. I suspect your nieces are going to be impressed by the pretty kitchen towels. I'm impressed you know how to work that machine to turn out such pretty things.

    Murder mysteries I can live without and probably rhubarb cake as well. You need to read Confessions of a Grandmother today. Her post is about rhubarb.

    It's rained all day the last two days as well. I think it's supposed to rain most of the week. A little shower I wanted, not all day rain.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Linda, I love those towels...so pretty! gosh, lucky niece!
    and yes, all my shows are ending so I'm reading a book as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1) Those towels are beautiful and amazing!!

    2) I love a good mystery, too, but am more into Harlan Coben and David Baldacci.

    3) Thank you so much for the rhubarb cake recipe!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was wondering about that rhubarb cake recipe although I have no rhubarb...lol~ Lovely towels!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Linda,
    My, those linen towels you embroidered on your Brother embroidery machine are beautiful and unique. I love the embroidered stitchery of the flowers. I am sure your niece will really like and treasure them as a gift from you. Happy reading on your mystery story. I'm not a murder mystery fan, but I love legal courtroom thrillers. My sister, Maureen, lives in Port Orchard, Washington. Do you really jog 10 miles a week? Amazing! It's way too hot in Arizona to jog outside, heat stroke.
    Nanette

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have rhubarb but am on a diet that doesn't allow most of your ingredients. Oh, well!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nanette ,
    This is al part of my weight loss/management program. no, I don't jog! But I do walk 3.5 to 4 miles most days, or now, in the rain, do 10 miles on the stationary bike, which means about a 45 minute workout.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Youir embroidered kitchen towels look nice Linda. That rhubarb cake and recipe sound good too - Dave

    ReplyDelete
  9. I know I've said it over and over, but you are just amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those are lovely towels, and you coordinated the colors so well! My oldest son has a May birthday, and this year I made him a rhubarb cake very similar to your recipe. It was successful enough that it may become a new birthday tradition!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The towels are just beautiful. They will have to hang for decoration--too nice to mess up on kitchen clean-up tasks.
    Oh, good...another rhubarb cake recipe. I am doing desserts for the Memorial Day family get-together, but I had to promise not to bring my rhubarb cake. Hah! No one said anything about yours, though.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'll add my two cents to the others: the towels are simply beautiful and a perfect gift. I've been enjoying the rain (don't tell) because it has been awhile since we've had any and things were beginning to wilt around here. It can stop now, though.

    ReplyDelete
  13. We've got rain too. The rain is welcome because I've been planting a lot of new flowers and the constant moisture will help them set in to their new locations before the long hot eastern Oregon summer. The towels are lovely...makes me wish I knew how to thread my sewing machine that arrived last week! I'm going to spend some time with the instruction booklet this week.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Somehow I missed this post. I am always looking for rhubarb recipes and this one looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.