Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Spring Beauty

We've done a lot of work in the garden in the last month.  There is still more to do - there always is- but today brought a milestone in the spring cleanup and planting phase.  


And the hard work shows.  Things are lookin' good.


Today I planted out all of Tom's fancy leaf geranium collection, some on the patio and more on the front porch and steps.

We're trying out a tropical/house plant patio pot this year.
Wintered over in the greenhouse, this shade pot group is cleaned up, a few flowers tucked in, and it's ready to go.
The impatiens and plectranthus are planted under the cedar tree.
The sun pots are refurbished with plants from the green house.
We worked all morning, and then stopped for lunch and a visit from an insurance broker connected with the Washington State Teacher's Retirement System.  Now we have to decide if we want Cancer Treatment Insurance and Medical Transport Insurance.  That's another story, but input is welcome.


After she left we worked for another hour and then Tom went to get a hair cut and I sat down and finished reading my Martha Stewart magazine in the sunshine on the patio, after which I grabbed my camera and took a walk around the yard.  I ended up with 98 photos, so after editing, I still have so many I'll be posting more tomorrow.
So to continue showing you the work we did, here's the temporary planting under the Wind Spinner.

We'll be working to clear out the greenhouse in the next week or so, and then the shed will be turned back into a playhouse.

Impatiens replaced pansies on the front porch.
And of course, the geraniums.

Here you can see some of the echeveria along the front walk.

I potted up extra geraniums to give to Jill.
Dahlias are getting a head start as they wait for the tulips to be finished and removed.  The tulips are also planted in gallon nursery pots and can just be popped out of the ground.
Tom's tomato seedlings, for us and for others, and some annual flower seedlings, enjoyed the day in the sun before going back into the greenhouse overnight.
Everywhere there is color and new growth.

The last hurrah of the tulips.

It's columbine time!


10 comments:

  1. Wonderful. I can hear through your writing the joy this brings you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So much colorful beauty, Linda! And, yes, I can feel the joy! Gorgeous captures!! Enjoy every moment!

    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  3. You certainly do have a green thumb. Good thing it's one of the Sounders colors! I look forward to seeing these all grow during the summer, LInda. And your fantastic pictures, always. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thoroughly enjoyable garden tour! I look forward to visiting your garden often as the season progresses ! When I was young and didn't fully appreciate sitting through piano lessons, sometimes I received a garden tour afterwards ...those 50 year old memories remain vivid even today as I recall seeing Mr. Hulburt's flats of double petunias he had started, lilies of every kind, stone arches, snowball plants, etc. I was a horrible piano student but gained an early appreciation of beautiful gardens! I love your wooden window boxes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. you're ready for a garden show. Where did you get your wind mill thing?

    ReplyDelete
  7. You should submit your photos to Sunset Magazine or Martha Stewart, etc. I think they are great.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your garden continues to amaze me. I agree with Gigi. Your photos and commentaries about your garden are better than anything I see in any magazine.

    My humble garden is so much work. In comparison, I wonder how you two do it all.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such beautiful plantings, everywhere. You must get tremendous pleasure from your hard work.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the blue heron in your header!
    You have a beautiful yard. Thanks for the spring cleaning and planting tour. I like the idea of planting tulips in gallon pots and burying them pot and all for easy removal! Will need to try that.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.