Sunday, May 20, 2012

Teacups and Tears

This morning, as a light rain fell, I went out into the garden to pick a few flowers to arrange, and some rhubarb to put in a rhubarb cake.
 
 Then I set the dining room table for afternoon tea.
 My Aunt Evelyn and my cousins, Kris and Dan Freeman, were coming to see the memorial that my aunt had asked me to place in our garden.


The rain did not deter.  As the drops fell, so did my aunt's tears.  She was so pleased with what I had done.  My mother was her older sister and the first of her siblings to depart.  As my Uncle Bill nears the end of his long struggle with Alzheimer's, my aunt still loves her "Willie" so.

We strolled through the garden, and down to the deck where the wisteria blooms hang heavy and heady with fragrance.  And then Aunt Evelyn paused once again before the memorial to speak to her Willie.


Then we all went in to tea and lovely conversation.  It was all good.

14 comments:

  1. I have to repeat what Linda Myers has written! Lovely indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Linda, this post is just plain heartwarming.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The rain was actually perfect for the occasion, it seems to me. I agree with your previous commenters: a heartwarming and lovely event. Thank you for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was very appropriate to have this tea with your relatives. I am glad it went so well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have certainly put together a fitting memorial and this post captures the sentiment so aptly.

    ReplyDelete
  6. how special to remember departed loved ones with family members...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you so much for sharing this special moment in time. Your memorial site at home is the neatest thing ever.

    Kathy M.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I had no doubt they'd be moved by this tribute!

    Am interested in the rhubarb cake. Will you share the recipe?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I had no doubt they'd be moved by this tribute!

    Am interested in the rhubarb cake. Will you share the recipe?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Linda, I'm new today to your lovely blog. What a beautiful dining room and view you have. I love your tea pot and tea cups. It's a very unique, heartwarming memorial with the wind spinner. Look forward to your daily letters and photos. My sister, Maureen, lives in Port Orchard, Washington.
    Kindest regards,
    Nanette
    Tucson, Arizona

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh Linda... This is so beautiful. What a truly wonderful thing you've done for the family.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Linda, I have a Gateleg table too! Large one. I bought it years ago, when I was in my 20's. It was painted orange everywhere, but also had flowers painted onit, it was very pretty, and used that way until I stripped it, and redid the finish. I'm glad to see yours, it's stunning!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.