Tuesday, June 19, 2012

A Quick Trip to Whidbey Island

After getting the home garden back in shape, we knew the Whidbey Island garden would also need tending.  We arrived Monday about noon to dark skies.  We spent the rest of the day lounging and reading, and going for a few walks.  It was good to finally have down time.

It rained overnight, so we took our time getting to the task.  And then the weeding and clipping and thinning began.  About three hours later, the garden was back under control.  And by then the sun was shining.  It was great having lunch on the deck.

 Looking good.
 Chocolate Poppies are popping, seeds from the Chocolate Flower Farm in Langley.
A self-hybridized dark red.

 With the work done I took time to check out the beach.  The tide was w-a-y out. 
 We had decided to return home this afternoon, but first I took a walk on the dike.
 The wild roses are blooming, and there are lots of other little bloomers, too.

 Scotch Broom
 Wild blackberries
 Ox eye daises.

 Of course with the tide out, the lagoon is empty.  No ducks today.





 We scrambled and caught the 3:00 ferry.
It looks like the first day of summer, tomorrow, will be sunny and about 72.  Just perfect.  And we have a Sounders soccer match at the stadium in the evening.  It will still be light when the match is over at 9:00.  It's summer solstice!

15 comments:

  1. Linda, you see so much beauty in life. I love your appreciation of nature, being outside among the plants, flowers & trees. I have so much to learn about the Pacific Northwest but I've learned a lot from you. I don't understand tides so I need to educate myself on those. I don't know that I'll ever learn all the water birds. We live in a beautiful place, and I love visiting your blog to see what you're going to teach me each day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. everyone needs a summer place...especially when it's going to be over 100 degrees here this week-rain sounds wonderful...lol!

    ReplyDelete
  3. All of your gardens are beautiful. Your vegetable garden looks like the spring has been warm and sunny, not rainy and cold!

    ReplyDelete
  4. First time visiting - I love your photos and you have a very nice Blog - I will be back for a visit. Cheers
    Lilly

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's a good sign that today, the first day of summer, will be a nice one, don't you think? Love the pictures you took on the walk, but then again, I always love your pictures. Glad you're getting some down time. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. How nice to have 2 cabins to retreat to! Love your photos, Linda. Enjoy the summer.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How nice to have 2 cabins to retreat to! Love your photos, Linda. Enjoy the summer.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I called my husband over to look at this post..what an amazing place you live in and get to visit..I want to jump on a plane and sit on the deck....Thank you for linking up to Nature Notes this week Linda...Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  9. A lovely trip to Whidbey and thanks for taking us through all those wildflowers. Love the poppies in your garden.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like the gray silver skies
    then the next shot is startling in all its blue!

    pretty house and the lands around are full of beautiful things

    ReplyDelete
  11. I liked your pictures of real wild flowers Linda, of dandelions, clover and others. What a neat idea to include them! - Dave

    ReplyDelete
  12. What beautiful scenery. Love all the delicate flowers and the paths leading through the area.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is such an amazing place. What a great place to take walks and just relax. Lucky you!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful! You guys have so much energy.

    Kathy M.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.