Saturday, June 2, 2012

We Are Family

This morning was slow but productive.  After meeting up with my siblings for breakfast, we got our laundry done and got a room up grade to a suite, since there were issues with our first room.


The rain continued to fall most of the day, but about 11:30 we ventured out seeking a place to walk and be entertained.  We struck out on antique shops but ended up at The Lowell National Historic Park.  

 This is the Boott Cotton Mill, part of a huge complex of textile mills separated by canals which supplied the water power to the mills during the Industrial Revolution.





 With hundreds of looms clacking away back in the day, this was a very noisy and dusty environment, much sanitized for the viewing public today.
It was just the diversion we needed and was educational too.


But the big even of the day was my niece Janelle's wedding.


Now I have to confess something you may be shocked to hear, but in the process of getting ready and dealing with the rain, I FORGOT MY CAMERA!


My sister Ilene was kind enough to let me borrow her little Nikon Coolpix, so at least I have something to post, but I'm afraid I can't really do the event justice.


The bridesmaids were all beautiful.
 Maid of Honor Laura was all smiles as she watched her sister exchange vows.

 It was a lovely and very personalized ceremony.


And then we were off to the reception.

 The Mother and Father of the bride joined us at Table 1.
 Janelle and Pete were front and center.  I had a chance to talk to Pete finally and we bonded immediately.  It may have something to do with Janelle mentioning that she heard I was the "liberal one" in the family.  Looks like we've added a Democrat!  Good!  I need a few more political allies in the clan.
 Cake and kisses.
 And lots of visiting and sharing.

My sisters and I are so glad we made the trip to be here.  We were the only members of the bride's family, since everyone in Don and Sheree's families lives on the west coast.  But as we said, "We are the sisters and we show up!"  We are family.  We needed to be there, and we feel very fortunate to have been able to represent the family.

11 comments:

  1. I guess that one didn't take ... but congratulations to the bride and groom.

    I bet you were startled to learn that you camera was back in your room though.

    Kathy M.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you were able to post photos. Your comment reminded me of hubby's family -- only his mom, dad, sister, and aunt and uncle attended our wedding. The rest of his family were on the east coast and Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Linda, it's so wonderful that you went. I can just imagine what it meant to the bride and groom to have your presence on this special day. The photos turned out beautiful although I find it astonishing that you forgot your camera. LOL! I've done the same thing, by the way. The attendants were wearing my favorite color. Gosh! I love weddings!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those pictures turned out just fine, Linda, even if they aren't up to the standards you now uphold. I like that YOU are in some of them. You look very nice in your white jacket and blue blouse. And pretty darn svelte, too! Congratulations to the bride and groom, and to find another liberal in the family would certainly make ME happy! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. looks like a lovely family event and you've turned it into a vacation too despite the rain!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely wedding photos Linda and I have been enjoying these vacation photos.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are so right about family. I'm glad you enjoyed the day and that you made the trip to be there to support the bride and groom.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have been to that textile mill in Lowell. I have a friend who lives there and I am almost always reminded of her when I read one of your posts because in my mind you are very much alike.
    It sounds like you made the most of your travels.It was an act of love to be at that wedding and I am sure it was greatly appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  9. How wonderful to have family from afar at a wedding! So glad you were able to go.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are so right; it's a blessing to have those special moments with family. Several years ago on a whim I attended my cousin's wedding and it was a wonderful reconnection with family that I hadn't seen in years. No one loves you like family!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wonderful photos of a very happy time. Isn't it nice to be with family for such lovely events.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.