Friday, July 6, 2012

Home Improvement Project: Stage 1

We have been in our house for 34 years.  During that time we have added and accumulated and updated furnishings.  We had new windows installed and new roofing.  We rebuilt the front porch and got new exterior doors and a new garage door.  We replaced carpeting and kitchen flooring.  We have replaced kitchen counter tops, and of course, replaced appliances as needed. We have a new furnace and heat pump.


Now were are taking on another big project, and it's all because we want a big TV.  


We watch a lot of the Home and Garden channel, and have talked about what we might need to do if we were to sell our house.  We decided to make improvements now so we could enjoy them, and it might eventually improve resale value.  


Our fireplace, a zero clearance, really needs to be redone, the box itself, and the surround too.  Part of that is cosmetic.  In order to accommodate a large TV we need to redo our cabinets, in which we still want optimum display space.


Today we started shopping.  We went to the fireplace store first.  There we made a decision as to what "z can" we want, and what the surround should look like.  We now await approval of the design and a visit from the contractor to size up the job and make the bid.


Then we went to Video Only to shop for a TV.  We looked at the models and decided on a 55 inch Samsung with Internet capability.  We also picked out a new receiver and sound system.  Everything was on sale so we bought it now.  We put it all on the credit card, and left it there in the store to be picked up when we are ready for it.  That may very well be soon, as we probably won't want to wait until all of the other work is done, especially for watching soccer and the Olympics. 


Next we went to IKEA to see if we could make do with a component wall system.  We can't.  Our space and arrangement requirements around the fireplace exclude what IKEA has.  So then we went to a custom cabinet shop we had heard about from a friend at breakfast this morning.  I showed a sketch of what we would need, with approximate measurements of the fireplace surround and the TV, and we got an estimate for the wall unit.  Now we'll hold on that while we get the fireplace going and shop for new flooring.  


Our white family room carpet is getting trashed, thanks to heavy usage and what the cat drags in, literally.  I have not successfully removed the last bunny blood spots.  We are going to replace all of the downstairs carpet and parquet flooring with hardwood.  I'll have to see how it costs out, but it will probably be engineered hardwood, and not the "real" stuff.  I can't be blowing all of my inheritance.


We got a lot done today.  Not bad for day 1.

9 comments:

  1. Actually we put in engineered wood and it's worked out great for us. We're still finishing our renovation project. I don't think it'll get done for another 3 years. It's a SLOW retirement project. We have no room for a big screen TV. I'm so jealous of everybody who has one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. how fun...almost like shopping for a new house but without all the packing and moving! Good luck...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a huge project, but just another blip on your very busy calendar. I look forward to the pictures you will grace me with, as it goes along.

    ReplyDelete
  4. When you decide to do something you just run with it. And I am certain that you will take the hassle of a re-model in sride. My husband threatens to put a block on HGTV.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I look forward to pictures of this redo. With a kitty like Josy you need concrete floors you can hose down.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My mother's house has real hardwood floors throughout. It doesn't look nice when it gets scratched or worn out. That's when you need to sand and revarnish it. Lots of work! David prefers carpeting for his sore flat foot.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can relate to your redo! We are in an old log house that has been in a constant state of remodeling in the 26 years we have been in it. Looks like you are doing it right instead of shooting from the hip like we normally do. :) Looking forward to pictures when you are done.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a huge project. In many ways, it is much like the one I did in 2007. I also did it to put in a t.v.! I will have to show before and after pictures one of these days.

    I love the gas fireplace we installed where a fireplace used to be. We have a blower on it and it heats the entire lower level of the house in the winter.

    I had the television wired through the new wallboard I put up to cover the old brick fireplace. The controls for the t.v. are behind glass doors on the cabinets on either side of the fireplace.

    I chose a laminate that looks like wood for the floors. I like it better than what I had, but I wish in some ways I had sucked up the expense and put in real hardwood. Although, in other ways, I am glad I didn't invest in hardwood floors. I am sure I would not get my money out of it. Heck, I can't even get the money out of the work I did do, but I am ok with that. We have enjoyed all the changes that we made.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice replaced kitchen counter tops, and of course, replaced appliances as needed and a new furnace and heat pump.We can proudly say that, your search is over if you are thinking for Home Remodeling and boosting your home.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.