Sunday, July 1, 2012

Open Gardens - NPA

We have been members of the Northwest Perennial alliance for a long time now.  What we like most about the organization is that some members open their gardens for other members to tour. 


We have had our garden open many times off and on over the the years, but not this year.  This weekend there were seven gardens open in and around Snohomish, which is a small river town north of Seattle, noted for it's antique shopping and lovely old homes.  It also has some very notable private gardens.


I took 275 photos of the five gardens we visited, and I could have taken more.  We saw amazing color combinations in flower and especially foliage. We saw wonderful examples of container plantings.  Color, form and texture wowed us.  And there were great uses of art and re-purposed materials used as accents in the garden.


The following photos are just from the first garden, a full acre lot, with half in cultivated garden and half a natural woodland bordering a small lake.





























Our thanks to the Nethercutts for opening their garden for the first time.  I can't imagine not showing this off to the world!

10 comments:

  1. Wow! What more can one say about such a place? I would have been in heaven walking around here. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely gorgeous. I used to have one of those tools they used for a gate handle. It belonged to my father. I wonder where it is now? Probably in son's garage. When the time is right I'm going to be contacting you about planting bulbs in containers with other plants. I kind of like this plant growing thing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yowsers! What a beautiful place. I am so glad they opened up that garden to the world and that YOU were there to take pictures for me. I am entirely blessed to follow such a prolific blogger. Now I'll go back through the pictures and gaze a little longer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. so green and luscious. We just returned from NM going though Arizona-it's so dry and thirsty!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know some people complain about the rain in Seattle, but this is what gives you so much beauty. Everything is so lush and amazing. Sigh... Lucky you all!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't see any sprinklers in their garden, so I guess the Seattle rain feeds the plants? Everything looks so verdant there. Very nice captures, Linda.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amazing place! That's the most magnificent garden I've ever seen. So beautiful! I'm so glad you shared.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful! What a joy it must be for the owners to wake up there everyday.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your photos look like those found in Birds and Blooms magazine. I like the variety found in the private home gardens such as the one in your pictures. Gardens that I visit tend to be in parks and old estates where professional gardeners are in charge. Those hostas are outstanding and would last about 24 hours in PA where our white-tailed deer love munching everything.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful! I am so thankful you took all of these gorgeous photos and shared them with us...a bright spot in my day! I could spend hours and hours in such a garden...

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.