Thursday, September 6, 2012

Democratic Convention, Day 3

I only watched the President's speech tonight.  It was enough.  The message came through loud and clear.  This is our country, and it is we, the people who can and must make any changes that are required.  We as citizens have a mutual obligation toward each other.  We have duties and responsibilities.

Here are my running notes as the President spoke:

They (my opponents) want your vote but they don't want to tell you their plan.
We have been there, we're not going back.  We're moving forward, America.
We are making things again. (Manufacturing jobs)
Not because our workers make less pay, but because we make better products.
Energy standards - cut oil imports, raised fuel efficiency, doubled renewable energy
Addressing climate change
Education - the gateway to a middle class life, schools raising standards, increased student aid, recruit 100,000 math and science teachers
Ended war in Iraq, routed terrorists
Tribute to military
Foreign affairs - advanced the rights and dignity of all human beings
My opponent and his running mate are new to foreign policy.  Think Russia is the enemy???
Will spend money from ending war to pay down our debt and create jobs, nation building right here at home
Still ready to reach an agreement on my bipartisan debt commission
Never turn medicare into a voucher 
Will not turn Social Security over to Wall Street
Will not eliminate tax deductions so the rich can have a tax break
We believe in something called citizenship = this country only works when we recognize responsibility to one another
America, we understand that this democracy is OURS.  As citizens we recognize it's not what can be done FOR us, but BY us
These last four years were not about me, but about you.  You are the reason.  You did that.  You are the change.  Only you have the power to move us forward.   
I am the president, I have shared pain, I have been driven to my knees many times because of the overwhelming conviction that I had no place else to go. ( Abraham Lincoln quote)
The people who have overcome give me hope
Your voice must be heard in this election
We need a country where everyone has a fair shot, everyone does their fair share, everyone plays by the same rules

There was so much more that I couldn't begin to keep up with. President Obama responded to his opponents and he rallied his supporters.  He shared his vision for the future, a future we must work together and cooperate to achieve.

7 comments:

  1. Last week, on a schooner cruise in Maine, I mediated an argument between a conservative and a liberal. We were able to agree on this phrase:

    We, the People.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the rundown. I haven't had the time to watch the speech but will now do so. I'm very glad he has stressed citizenship and cooperation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. He had a tall order to follow Michelle & Clinton but as always he did it. I think if Democrats will stick to the message that jobs are more than numbers they can do some serious talkin. Jobs are people, & families etc. should resonate well. Oh yes, Obama had more than 52,000 tweets during his peak minutes. I believe Michelle peaked at 28,000, Clinton at 22,000, and Romney at 14,000.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I heard Biden's and Obama's speeches today as well as clicked on Jake's link to Clinton's speech. Very persuasive.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yae, Linda! It was a great speech... perhaps not as awesome as Clinton's yesterday, but I loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for this summary Linda. We don't get the whole speach here. Something he said reminded me of a quote from John F Kennedy - "Think not what your country can do for you. Think what you can do for your country " - Dave

    ReplyDelete
  7. I remeber when we used to have citizenship lessons in school
    should do that again

    great recaps Linda
    thanks

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.