Thursday, September 13, 2012

Retreat to Whidbey Island

With a lull in the action here at home, we ran away for an overnight at the cabin on Whidbey Island.  

We arrived about 11:00 on Wednesday.  After settling in, I went for a walk on the road.  It was quite windy, so we lunched inside and read the paper.  then tom ran some errands and I went for a walk on the dike, carrying my little Canon camera and a berry bowl.


 I picked just enough berries to enjoy right away.  They were great with ice cream in the evening and with our cereal the next morning.
 Now that the summer season is over, it was so quiet on our sand spit.  Only a few ducks and shorebirds, and a lone heron inhabited the lagoon.


 The sun was bright and the sky brilliant blue, turning the water into dancing diamonds.  I took a walk along the beach, just poking along in the sand.

 The Golden Hour is coming earlier now.
 And so too the sun set.

 I built a fire in the fire pit and we watched it burn down to coals, using the last of the daylight to read.
This morning we did some sorting and cleaning in the cabin, and worked in the yard a bit.
Then we drove across island to Langley just to stroll and find WiFi.  I love all of the flowers in the village.




 There were diners enjoying lunch in several outdoor locations.

 But we came back here to have our lunch.

 With views of the sky and water, a light breeze, and overlooking our garden, it was a very special place too.








Tonight we are back home, and the list of chores is growing.  It was good to get away.

11 comments:

  1. Your life looks pretty good Linda. Those blackberries look great as do those hanging baskets of petunia(?) Enjoy the last of the warm weather... - Dave

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a lovely place to get away...wonderful photos...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your gardens! The grass background is very dramatic and dreamy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Linda, what a beautiful post. I loved all of the pictures, and it makes me want to visit Washington soon.

    I'm glad that you two had a nice chance to relax and rejuvenate.

    Kathy M.

    ReplyDelete
  5. amidst all these amazing photos the berries in the bowl shot just really pops to me

    the town looks so pretty as does your cabin

    enjoy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good grief, even in your relaxation your are so busy. It looks like a wonderful place for some R&R.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a wonderful retreat place you have there, Linda. I had to laugh at the sign of the times you mentioned: "just to stroll and find WiFi." :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a beautiful way to close a very busy summer.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Every time I see all the flowers and shrubs at your Whidbey cabin, I wonder how on earth you keep up both your gardens at home and the ones on Whidbey. Everything is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That was a wonderful getaway, for sure. Love the flower photos!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is such an idyllic place! I'm always so amazed by your photos. I love the idea of being able to just go out and pick berries. WOW!!!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.