Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Rockaway Retreat

Greetings from Starbucks in Tillamook, Oregon, where I am having a latte and pumpkin bread for lunch, to be followed down the road by a scoop of Tillamook ice cream.

 I took these photos this morning, just after my beach walk.  It's pretty much the scene here on the coast, cloudy/foggy and cool.  No wind today, which makes beach walking much more pleasant than yesterday afternoon.
.
Inland it is still hot and smokey.  All the way from Seattle as we drove yesterday the air was thick with smoke from wild fires burning just east of the mountains.  At least here the air is cleaner.

We are roughing it a bit in the unfinished cabin.  One thing still missing is a replacement for the wood stove, so we are heating with electric heaters, and blowing electrical circuits.   

We've lined up a sports bar for dinner this evening where we will watch the Sounders match in Honduras.  Tomorrow we hope to get some exterior painting done.  This place is not ready for winter.

But there will also be more prowling around, more reading, and more beach walking.  It is a retreat, after all.

11 comments:

  1. how fun to have a place to retreat, in fact you have two! lucky guys....lol!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was through Tillamook recently & stopped for ice cream. I think I had blackberry and it was soooo good.

    I agreed, the cabin doesn't look ready for winter. That must mean Tom & Linda Reeder are not in charge of that project or it would have been done by now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You reminded me that earlier this week I walked into Mallard's Ice Cream Parlor and asked for the chunkiest chocolate ice cream they had. Homemade Rocky Road, I can STILL taste it! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope you are having some time away from the smoke. We head out for our retreat home on Saturday.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Although I wouldn't be excited about the painting since I've done too much of that and have more waiting, the walks, prowling and reading sound just wonderful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like your work is never done Linda. I wonder how much more you have to do there? - Dave

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have so much energy! What's your secret?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love cloudy cool mornings
    the scene is lovely

    I hope the fires are over soon

    ReplyDelete
  10. You guys are always so busy! I can't wait to see the "after" paint job.

    We are heading to Yakima today for a reunion ... can't wait to see how bad the smoke is going to be. NOT!

    It has been hot and beautiful in Central Oregon, hazy where we are, but miserable on the otherside of the Pole Creek Fire in Sisters.

    Enjoy your weekend, Linda.

    Kathy M.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Superb views, the first magic photograph. I am greeting

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.