Friday, October 19, 2012

Autumn Bloomers

We have a lovely new crop of garden flowers, just bloomed!

Well, maybe not "bloomed".  
 "Assembled" might be more accurate.

We have been collecting household glass for quite a while, stopping at thrift stores locally, on the island, and on the coast.  The supply had grown quite large.  We had planned to make flowers last winter/spring but other things took precedence. It was time.

Tom got everything set out, and then I went to work designing.  That's the fun part.  After I had them laid out, Tom glued them together.  He designed a few of his own too.
 Some of you have asked what adhesive we use.  Here are the products.
And here are the results.
 They all have bud vases or bottles attached to the back, which will slip over the bent re bar "stems".




Eventually some will end up in our garden and others will be given as gifts.  But for now, they will go into storage through the winter.

11 comments:

  1. Your garden art is beautiful. I'd been wondering what adhesive would work, so I'm glad you told us. I'd like to try making some flowers fr my garden....

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is really an original idea and looks very attractive.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very interesting! Nice results. I think part of the artist's eye has to be in finding the parts and pieces and visualizing how they will fit together.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like glass art of any kind. However, won't these collect water for mosquitos to breed in? We in Hawaii are always told by the Health Dept to watch for stagnant water.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @ Gigi: The glass flowers will be on bent re bar so they will not stand face up. They do collect a bit of moisture, but not much. And we have mosquitoes anyway, without standing water. They live in the landscaping that gets watered.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE these! What a great idea! This is something I want to remember to do in my own garden next year. Seems like a good fall/winter project too. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very pretty! It looks like it was a fun project. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. lol...I thought they were going into your yard for winter beauty!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those are beautiful, Linda. I saw some at a vintage store for big bucks. You guys are so talented.
    MB

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am so impressed! These are gorgeous! You could sell them at art fairs. Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Now this is a new kind og hobby Linda. They look good too - Dave

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.