Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Change Is On The Way

After many unexpected sunny mornings and 70 degree days, the expected dip in temperatures and foggy mornings have finally begun.  The fog will burn off later and later each day, and by Friday we anticipate the first real rain in 80 days.

I took my camera out into the garden this morning and snapped 75 photos.  I'm not posting quite all of them.
This week we took down the umbrellas and put away the patio rocking chairs.
 The summer flowers are still looking fine here.
 Bonsai trees are beginning to color up.

 Perennials are in various stages of display and decay.



 Our ornamental maple trees are just barely beginning to color up
 but the seeds are lovely.
 The vegetable garden has gone over and is scraggly.  Tom will start dismantling it today.
 With dry yards all around, the moles have gone crazy in our watered yard.
 Tom has set traps, but so far, no catch.
 Dahlias still supply lovely cut flowers for in house bouquets.



 Hosta leaves are slumping.
 Our stewartia tree has finally reached enough maturity to begin bark shedding.

 Stroll the garden with care.  Spiders are everywhere.

 Tom has taken cuttings of his fancy leaf geraniums, and the green house is full of them.  Now these can hang around as long as they look good.  The full moon maple is just beginning its color change.  It will again be glorious.


 The tomatoes were late but have been producing well now.  Firewood from logging in our yard is stored for winter fires.
 Irene's playhouse is once again the storage shed.  I'll be collecting yard art to stow away.
 But roses still bloom.

10 comments:

  1. Kinda sad in places, and your family enjoys summer so much I'm sure it's sad to you to see it go for another year. Think about the wonderful fall colors to come. I'm so looking forward to the rain, but I'm sure I'll complain about it in April.

    You might tell Tom the lovely wind piece looks to me like it may be listing a little to the left. He needs to see about that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely photos showing the changing season. Will you share some photos of your trees when they turn red?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely plants! Your garden puts mine to shame. But, you and Tom do work hard to keep it nice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah, and we didn't get any sun at all today in our part of Seattle! I think Fall has put in a definite appearance! Beautiful captures as always, Linda! Hope your week is going well!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your yard looks lovely. The spouse dismantled our garden while I was at Vashon...how lucky was I to get out of the work! I still have all those pumpkins to cook and puree, but I'm so glad to be done with tomatoes. I didn't have any more recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I spent yesterday taking out stuff from my garden, but even though I have a little plot, I didn't get finished. I figure I'll go ahead and finish once the rain softens up the ground. Great shots. And hopefully today will be a good day for my hike in the High Country, maybe our last for the season...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gee, I was so happy to visit a botanical garden this past week, but you get to live in one full time. Moles are sometimes a menace in our yard, but this year it was chipmunks.

    ReplyDelete
  8. truly a garden of eden and you enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your gardens are a credit to you both Linda. Thanks for showing them to us - Dave

    ReplyDelete
  10. Everything is so lovely, Linda. I appreciate how you and Tom take care of and beautify your spaces. Your gardens have taken years to get to this glorious stage (obviously) and your dedication shows.

    Thanks for sharing these pictures with us. I miss the valley and all that grows there.

    Kathy M.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.