Sunday, February 3, 2013

Super Sunday

Today we celebrated son-in-law Corey's birthday.  His birthday is  really Tuesday, but we won't all be getting together on that busy week day.  

Corey has become quite the photographer, so I thought I would take him on a great photo op for his day.  Everybody else got to come along.

We went to the Seattle Center to visit the Chihuly Glass Museum.



 We were a little early so we enjoyed the center grounds while we waited for the glass museum to open.  Everybody had their camera except Jill.  She did have her phone, of course.

Here we go.

 The  Glass Forest uses neon and argon glass tubing.
The next room was devoted to glass designs borrowed from Indian basketry.




 Dale Chihuly is a collector extraordinaire.  Here is a collection of his Pendelton blankets.
 Sea life was the theme of the next room.

 This amazing glass ceiling captivated all of us.






 Each room was just more and more stunning.  Look at the amazing "plants" in this garden.






 Irene had peeked ahead, and alerted me of the next spectacle,  a boat load of beauty.




Next came the chandelier room.






 Are they bowls, or are they flowers.  For sure they are beautiful.

In the Glass house.

 And then out into the garden.

 Plantings complimented the glass.









After leaving the Glass Garden we had lunch, including Starbucks coffee and goodies, in the Armory.
And then we lingered around the International Fountain a while longer, appreciative that the only moisture falling was from the fountain itself.


 Irene couldn't resist, so in she went.  Isaac stayed high and dry.
 And then Jill couldn't resist either.  Yep, that's her just daring the fountain to get them.  It didn't.
We all came back to the homestead, where Corey and I played with our photos, the kids and I played with puppets, and we all watched at least some of the Super Bowl, the Puppy Bowl, and the commercials, while we ate snacks, and pizza and birthday cake.
 Happy Birthday, Dear Corey!  Happy Birthday to you.

14 comments:

  1. Wow Linda, that place is beautiful and amazing! Thanks for showing it - Dave

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, you've made it imperative I get down there to this museum. It will be high on my list of Seattle activities now that I've seen (again) how fabulous it is!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so very glad that I follow your blog. I enjoy taking your trips through all your photographs. You must have posted about this one before because Chihuly rings a bell with me and I can't imagine I heard of this museum anywhere else.

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow, what fantastic images-quite the birthday celebration!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is a beautiful museum. Happy Birthday to Corey! Aloha from Hawaii!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Birthday, Corey! Those photos are spectacular, Linda. I want to go there now. Thanks for posting so many of them

    Kathy M.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Birthday Corey. Great photos! The one of the ceiling display is almost identical to the one we saw at the Bellagio in Las Vegas.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, my! We need to get to that place when we're back in Seattle.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! I love his work. I have seen his work at the Bellagio in Las Vegas, but these exhibits are just spectacular. I was really intrigued with his work that was inspired by Indian basketry.

    The ceilings were just amazing! I can only imagine how beautiful they were. I loved the photo of Isaac. I'm sure he was inspired to try and capture the glory of it all.

    His work is so fanciful and colorful. What a gift he has. I really want to go to this museum.

    ReplyDelete
  10. happy belated birthday Corey

    the glass art is amazing!!
    wonderful photos and you chose a real stunner for your header

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy Birthday to Corey!!!

    Art and I are so amazed at all your Chihuly glass photos. Wow! Darn! I wish we could have seen that when we were in Seattle. Shucks! I guess we're going to have to put Seattle BACK on our list of places to visit. Sheesh!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy birthday to Corey.
    Chihuly is quite the artist and genious isn't he. He started the Pilchuck Glass School next to where I live up in the Pilchuck tree farm. Quite a place. MB

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful! Must see this when I am back in town!

    ReplyDelete
  14. We were up sat. feb 2, 2013 it was foggy, bleak and not at all nice. We went to the Fremont area and ran into the parking police lady, many got exorbitant tickets refusing to pay the meter at all. We are from Vancouver washington and we don't have meters like that all over the place, we did not see the Fremont sunday market sad at that, it was bonechilling cold, our daughter was ill the whole week and ended up in hospital so we did not stay outside for more than a minute, she recovered to fly back to NYC to rest and recuperate from pneumonia..She saw the Chilluly exibit before she went up with her pneumonia. I do love Seattle not the bonechilling cold and fog that seems to come into the city nor no parking anywhere and lots who charge $5.00 an hour to park if any spots occur, definetely in my opinion a city to use their public transportation sys which is excellent justnot on such inclement days..my name is Mary I love your blog..ciao happy lunar new year Snake water snake at that starts today 2/10/13!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.