Saturday, July 20, 2013

Another Great Day In Seattle

When I went for my walk first thing this morning it was cold and foggy, refreshing actually.

By 10:30 Tom and I were headed to the light rail station for a day in the city.  Before going to the stadium for a 1:00 Sounders match, we passed through Occidental Park, where we would gather later for the March to the Match.
 I loved the latest version of yarn bombing there.
We stopped at the Starbucks on Occidental for lattes, and visited with soccer friends who had the same idea.  We made a trip to the stadium area to pick up a free soccer scarf from Century Link.  We have quite a collection of scarves now.  Some day I will sew them all together into a blanket.

Back at Occidental park, we met up with other supporters for the March to the Match, and then at the stadium we met up with Jill and the kids.  We checked out the trophy case before heading to our seats at opposite ends of the stadium.

 Just before first kick, the clouds cleared off and the sun came out - hot!
It was an intense match against the Colorado Rapids and ended in a hard fought tie, 1-1.  By then we were well done, as in cooked.

We met up with Jill and the kids at the north end to head into the city.
 Waterfall Park is such a refreshing little stop along the way.
 Jill had arranged for us all to take the Underground Tour.  It's a tourist thing that none of us had ever done before.  We waited near the Pergola in Pioneer Square to check in for our 4:00 tour.



 Here we go, through a nondescript doorway and down some old steps an into what was once the street level of old Seattle.



 We emerged into an alley and descended yet another stairway.


 When the newer level sidewalks were finally put in, skylights were added so the underground passage ways could still be used.





 Back above ground in the city.
 We walked uptown to University Street, said "Hello" to Hammering Man, and then descended the Harbor Steps to the waterfront, our destination being dinner at Red Robin.


Naturally lots of people had the same idea, so we had a wait, but with pleasant views and jellyfish in the water to keep us occupied.




Inside and seated at last, the kids were occupied with the games in the Kid's menu.
 Sorry I didn't get a photo of the mud pie we shared for dessert  but there was a bit of a feeding frenzy, and I had to get my share while I could!

While the kids had renewed energy and scrambled back up the Harbor Steps, we adults were a bit slower.  Our feet were more tired than Hammering Man's.

We caught the light rail back to our cars and ended a wonderful day in the city.

Now as I type this post, I see a huge, almost full moon out my window.  I think a little moonlight garden visit is in order.  A great ending to another beautiful day in Seattle.

16 comments:

  1. Sounds like a fun day! We did the Underground Tour last summer one day when my husband and I went into the city. It was a lot of fun and interesting too. When we first moved here about 4 years ago, we lived at the Harbor Steps apartment building for nearly two months while looking for a house to rent.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hej Linda.
    Jag ser att Du och hela familjen har haft en underbar dag i den stad där ni bor. Så framsynt av stadens ledning att behålla något av stadens historia.Här i Sverige vaknade man för sent om betydelsen av vår huvudstads, Stockholms, historia. Mycken vacker bebyggelse och vackra hus revs på l960-talet.

    Du ger oss så vackra blogginlägg då du berättar främst om familjen och trädgården. Tack.
    Hälsningar från din släkting och vän Inga-Britt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an incredible day! Y'all had fun, that's for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful indeed...and such a full day. Your family knows how to get the best out of life.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really interesting trip through the underground. Nice to know they had a place to potty. Was impressed by the flowers in the alley. Sure puts most city alleys to shame.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You live in an extremely beautiful area. for one day you had a large variety of things to see and do.

    ReplyDelete
  7. fun full day, I've been to the underground-quite fascinating!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Interesting. Portland also has underground tunnels. Looks like you had beautiful weather for your day in the city.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It was sunny here in Bellingham all day, but on the cool side (not hot at all). In Snohomish it didn't clear until 3:00pm. Strange little microclimates we have here in Washington state! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. You all had a very full day and now I am tried out just reading about it. LOL
    I too have lived here all my life and not been underground. My favorite shop as a kid was Ye olde curiosity shoppe. It was so much fun but the last time I was there--years ago--it had moved and was just not the same. Of course I was grown up by then. Love the waterfront. MB

    ReplyDelete
  11. It sounds absolutely wonderful. Judging from your pictures you saw some fantastic sites.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my, getting used to my new hot spot and new computer, so sorry if I post a comment twice.

    Seattle is a fun city to visit. Always someplace fun to take our out of town guests, and the underground tour is always at the top of the list.

    ReplyDelete
  13. How fun! Thanks for showing and telling us about the underground, Linda. I would really like to do that someday. You are making me long for a trip to Seattle.

    Have a great week,

    Kathy M.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That underground tour sounds very interesting:)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh what lovely fun! We did go on that Underground Tour when we were in Seattle. I can still recognize some of what we saw. I'm so glad you're enjoying your summer so much!

    ReplyDelete
  16. You certainly do visit the most interesting places!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.