Friday, August 2, 2013

All Roads Lead to Stroudsburg

It was foggy when we got up this morning in Danville, PA, but by the time we were on the move, it had cleared and the sun was hot.  We said goodbye for now to the Susquehanna River and moved east toward Stroudsburg.
 We took lesser routes for part of the way, going through small towns and farmland, avoiding I-80 for as long as we could.  

About 10 miles from Stroudsburg we exited the freeway to check out the town of Reeders.  We don't know the history here, and the man at the old general store, now  a pizza place, didn't know, and neither did the woman at the township office.  We'll google it later.


Across the freeway we stopped at an antique mall in Tannersville, and then had lunch at a Dairy Queen.  

It was 2:00 when, after stopping at the visitors center in Delaware Water gap to get directions, we arrived at a portion of the Appalachian Trail. 




 The weather was hot and humid, the trail was pretty rough in places, and the mosquitoes were vicious, so we went just far enough to get a view down into the Delaware River Water Gap, and then turned around to come back.  We were on the trail about 45 minutes, but at least we can say we hiked part of the Appalachian Trail.
It was 3:00 when we checked into our hotel in Stroudsburg.  We were now in contact with other family members who were due to arrive.  Tom and I walked to Main Street and toured the town, and three antique malls.
 We stopped off at the Willowtree Inn to make reservations for dinner for family members.   
When we arrived back at the hotel, my brother, his wife and daughter had arrived from Boston.  My sister and her husband, who live in Washington State, but have been traveling in Maine, arrived shortly after.  Then their daughter and her husband and three kids, who had been traveling in New York City, arrived.

We all went to dinner and there we discovered the whole wedding party were having the rehearsal dinner there too.

Cameras were left behind and we spent a lovely evening visiting and catching up.

My nieces wedding is tomorrow morning at 11:30, with an afternoon reception.  For our clan, all roads lead to Stroudsburg this weekend.

11 comments:

  1. Linda, you're in my neck of the woods now.. PA, only I'm from Pittsburgh area. My daughter is in Delaware now from Austin. I lived once at the mouth of the Chesapeake Bay.Wow, I was just thinking i'd be visiting soon, and you beat me to it.
    Nice to see you are traveling around.. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like such a wonderful trip for you and your family, Linda! Thanks so much for sharing the fun! Enjoy! Make the most of every minute!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so neat, Linda! It'll be so interesting to find out the history of the town of Reeder. There just might be a family connection.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love that area of PA. The villages are so pretty. Hope the wedding goes well!

    ReplyDelete
  5. now I can say I've seen the appalachian trail-won't miss the mosquitos...enjoy the family wedding!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I smiled at the Reeders Run sign, thinking it was perfect for you. And then you hiked along the Appalachian Trail! Enjoy your wedding and relatives, Linda. I waved at the plane that flew over as I was hiking last Monday. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope you are having a wonderful time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. How nice to have your very own town.
    When I was a youngster, I thought about hiking the Appalachian Trail. Sadly life kept getting in the way.
    Hoping the wedding was just perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful pictures. It seems like the town of Reeders must have a family connection somewhere.

    I've read two books about people through hiking the whole Appalachia trail, and would love to do even a short distance on it one day. Maybe in the spring before the mosquitos come out in earnest.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The trail really is a trail, small and skinny, isn't it (at least that part of it anyway).

    Great pictures!

    Kathy M.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.