Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Endings

After a beautiful end of summer weekend, the rain returned last night and this morning, off and on.  I got in a quick walk first thing, and then hurried back home because Jill and the kids had arrived.

We gathered to say goodbye to Tiny, Isaac's cat Sandy's little 6th kitten, who struggled for four weeks to live, but finally gave up.  They found the tiny kitten in the middle of Isaac's bedroom floor when they arrived home from the island last night.  Sandy had moved the rest of her litter under Isaac's bed, as if to protect the rest from the ills of the world.


 Tiny now rests in the back of the rose bed, under the protection of the spirit of Leo, Jill's long ago pet.
 We were all kind of sad as we went our separate ways. Jill and the kids had a busy day planned of shopping and organizing, this being their last day of freedom before school starts tomorrow.  I made a date to meet them at 3:30 in the afternoon to treat them to frozen yogurt before they went off to soccer practice.

Then Tom and I spent the rest of the morning and well into the afternoon working at our neighbor's house again.  We've just about got all of the donation items delivered or ready to deliver.  Tom has the hazardous materials ( household and yard chemicals) ready to take to the appropriate place when they open on Thursday.   The main living portion of the house is done.  The basement, garage and attic await a dumpster or whatever provision someone besides us will be making to take care of what is left - trash.  We'll spend some more time there tomorrow, and then our work there will be coming to an end.  Being neighborly has it's limits.

The kids were fine and all was well when we met up with them this afternoon.  The kids had helped their mom with a huge grocery shopping trip and other errands.  
Tomorrow it's back to school.  Summer vacation has come to an end.

Even though I no longer have to go back to work and school, this time of year always makes me a little melancholy.  Endings are hard.

And yet there are many new beginnings too. And continued fun for us retired old folks.  And a soccer match to go to at the stadium on Wednesday, and again on Saturday!  And the Seahawk football season begins this weekend!  And soon kid's soccer matches.  And, and, and....

And sunshine again tomorrow!

10 comments:

  1. The loveliness of family, regardless of what's going on in it.

    And the light is changing here in the Pacific Northwest for sure, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. darkness is creeping in during the early mornings and shortening the evenings!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fall is on its way. School is starting. There are endings around us for sure. I am amazed at how much Irene has grown this summer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sad about the littlest kitten, the children seem to have rebounded quickly...being busy helps I am sure! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry about the littlest kitten. This summer seems to have flown faster than most and today was my first day with kids. I somehow feel that summer never really got underway yet it's carefree days are already gone. Interesting to know that the melancholy doesn't go away with retirement. On the bright/beginnings side, this was my best, smoothest, easiest first day of school ever! Looks like my kids this year are going to be a nice and much less challenging group than some I've had in the past and the cool crisp days of autumn, pumpkins, squash and gourds piled high at the produce stands, the tan corn stalks still standing in the fields, warm cider, gathering in for the season all are wonderful and warm thoughts for me. While I love summer in the garden, fall is a wonderful season here too especially if it's on the dry side like last year. If it could be followed immediately by spring, things would be perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You and Tom are ideal neighbors. I don't think David and I would have done as much as you have. Too bad about the kitten.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Endings and beginnings get tangled together.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's a melancholy time of year for me, as the days get shorter and the nights lengthen. To lose the little kitten was also sad. Yes, the rain has returned, and tomorrow, Thursday, looks to be another very rainy hike for us. Got my gear all clean and ready to go. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your comment about 'no longer having to go back to school or work' resounded with me. The school year *still* marks time when grandchildren are involved just as the weekends *still* mean something special even when work is no longer on the weekly schedule. It's different that's for sure, but still relevant. Does that make sense?

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is the first year since I've retired that I longed to go back to school. Not sure why... I DO love being able to do whatever I want, whenever I choose -- this year, though was definitely bittersweet.

    Sad about Tiny and a tough life lesson for the young ones. Lovely though that she has a sweet resting place.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.