Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Mid September

We've had rain, lots of it in short bursts, in the last two weeks, and everything has gone green again.
 That means Tom has been out mowing the lawn regularly.  And the moles have other yards to visit again, which helps us.

The vegetable garden has pretty much shut down, except for carrots and beets still in the ground, and tomatoes still coming on.
And there are still blowers to pick.

Tom has been taking geranium cuttings for plants for next year.  This morning I cleaned up what is left of the display on the front porch.

Last weekend I took apart Irene's flower shop and emptied the shed, so that Tom could empty the greenhouse and start filling it up.  Here are the geranium and plectranthus cuttings.
 These are echeverias.
 They have babies - off sets- and Tom has harvested them for starts for next year. The large pots will also come into the greenhouse over winter.
This afternoon is sunny and mild, and I found Tom working on edging the lawn.

I haven't done much outside in the yard for a while, except to go out and pick things.  I am getting back to my exercise routine, and I'm trying to remove the extra pounds I added over the summer.  I walk about 3.5 miles each day, plus a short walk after dinner.  Soon that  after dinner daylight will be gone.  I'm also doing my physical therapy exercise routine.  

While Tom was outside this week, I worked inside, getting the house work done, and getting to a few things on the "When I get around to it" list.  I finally emailed my doctor and got a referral for the neuroscience department.  I have been fighting sciatica caused by spondylolisthesis for a long time now.  Now I am getting tingling down my leg and into my foot occasionally and there seems to be some fuzzy nerve stuff going on in one toe.  I fear neuropathy, which caused my mother to lose feeling in her feet and hands.  So I have an appointment with a neurology PA at the end of the month to see what the next steps are.

I also finally called tech support at Yamaha to see why my iPod Nano would no longer play on my receiver.
This happened before and I knew there was a fix for it.  I had to be persistent with the tech support guy who wanted to "blame" my iPod or cable, but I finally got him to tell me how to re-set the receiver, and that did the trick.  I wrote it down this time, in case it happens again.

This afternoon I took my camera out to see what's going on in my neglected garden.












 Can you find the hummer on the fuchsia in the photo below?



 And the chickadee on the sunflower? I was thrilled to see this.  I actually successfully grew sunflowers that are producing seed for the birds!

 Spiders are every where of course.



 Old and new blooms on the same hydrangea. 








Maybe I'll find some time to actually sit out here tomorrow, before the sun goes away again.


10 comments:

  1. I saw the chickadee but couldn't find the hummer anywhere. I love your late summer garden pictures, Linda. You sure have a beautiful garden. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, tomorrow's supposed to be sunny and in the 70s, and then the showers return. Spend some time out in the garden, even if it's just sitting. You may think it's neglected, but it still looks stunning.

    I had a problem with sciatica many years ago, caused by two ruptured discs, and it was awful. So much pain. I actually still have a numb spot on one of my toes. I hope the neurology PA can help you out. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  3. David had that back problem with shooting pain down his leg. He had back surgery and is fine now. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your yard and garden are lush, green and colorful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your garden still looks wonderfully cared for. There are parts of mine that are beginning to collapse (the huge ornamental grasses in one area always do this and every year I threaten to get rid of them. They're petty spectacular when they aren't flopping allover everything else in their bed so they sweet talk me into staying.

    Hope you enjoy some time in the sun and the your visit to the neurology PA yields positive results for you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. love all your flowers and lushness!

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow..I want to come over there and sit in your garden, eat great food and watch you sew....

    I have neuropathy in both feet and to a lesser degree in my hands. I take a medication that helps, but makes me more tired. Get the best medical advice you can get!! hugs..

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a beautiful garden---it is so picture perfect. I know both you and Tom spend many hours working and enjoying it. I did find the hummer I had to enlarge the picture. I mean, I think I found it---it's back is to the viewer.
    Maybe I will start a flat of geraniums too. I used to do that but just don't anymore.
    I enjoy your posts. MB

    ReplyDelete
  9. I had to enlarge both photos but I found the birds. That was fun! Your garden is glorious all year long, Linda. I imagine it's beautiful in winter also. Your flowers are all exquisite.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your neglected garden looks pretty nice:)

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.