Monday, September 30, 2013

We're Getting A Little Smarter - Slowly

After shopping around for smart phones and service providers, we finally decided on Sprint and iPhones.  Last Friday after school we went to the local dealer and got set up.  

Transporting our numbers meant we got the new iPhone 5c's free, instead of $100 each with a two year contract.  The activation fee was waived because we are members of a credit union.  There will be an 18% educator discount on the data charge.  

They had a limited color choice left.
 They didn't have any Sounders green left, so I got blue, Tom got yellow, and Jill got white.  Tom and Jill will get covers that probably cover up their colors, but I got a clear one so you can still see my pretty blue.
But there is a problem, and we have spent much of the last few days trying to decide what to do.  Sprint does not have a strong enough signal right here at our house so the actual telephone part works very poorly.  We checked out another carrier, but the switch over would have cost us another $400 in "restocking fees at Sprint",  and having to buy the phones at another carrier.

Sprint has come up with what I hope is a solution   We will be receiving a piece of hardware called an Air-Rave, which hooks up to our modem and will receive a boosting signal via internet.  This $100 item we are getting free because Jake at the Sprint store told me to tell them when I called that it should be free because it was Sprint's fault. It worked !

We are now free to get to know our phones, now that we know we are going to keep them!  I already have done a lot with mine  and I'm having fun learning.  We are getting smarter slowly.

Tomorrow we are off to the Oregon coast.  Hopefully our new phones will allow us to stay in contact at least with email and internet. You'll still have to wait for photos on the blog.

Oh, and we survived a very wet and stormy Sounders match last night.  Unfortunately it ended in a disappointing tie.  But, hey!  We didn't lose, and we're still very near the top.

11 comments:

  1. I wondered if you were at that game in that weather. I should have known better. At least it wasn't a loss. And I love my iPhone, Linda. The only time I don't have coverage around here is when I'm on the Mt. Baker Highway. It stops (with Verizon) at Mosquito Lake Road and comes back temporarily when I'm at Artist Point. Which, BTW, has closed today for the season. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with DJan, Linda. I love our iPhone and don't go anywhere without it. Mom is always shocked at what it can do. In fact tomorrow's post is somewhat connected to iPhones. I love your colors!!! Wow! That is so snazzy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have not gotten around to a smart phone. There is not signal from any service here. It drives anyone who visits a bit crazy.
    Congrats to your family on the new house. That is exciting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been debating switching to an iPhone. I just hate the thought of starting a new contract. I hope you get your signal problem resolved.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do like the beautiful blue phone. I like how the new phones are skinnier too. I'm glad the carrier worked with you. I know that AT&T will not work at out house. That is always frustrating to those who visit us. The company that you select always locks you in so it is difficult to break a contract. We use Verizon and have for years because in the early days it was just impossible to get good signals in our area with other carriers. There is so much to think about with technology. Who knew? Have fun getting smarter.

    ReplyDelete
  6. you're ahead of me in phone technology!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Our carrier is Consumer Cellular - no contract, part of the AT&T network.

    Last week I bought an iPhone 4 and ordered a SIM card from Consumer Cellular for free. They don't support iPhone 5 yet, but that's fine with me. I bought my phone "unlocked" which means no particular network needs to be set up. Works for me!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm in Olga's boat. I have to drive 4 miles to get a strong enough signal to download my Kindle. Same with a cell phone. I haven't heard about Air-Rave and will check it out.
    Enjoy your new step up the smart ladder.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just checked, Air Rave won't work here.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have a hard enough time with the phone on the wall:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congrats. I have heard good things about the iPhone. Right now we have Samsung, which works okay.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.