Thursday, September 12, 2013

Whidbey Getaway

We returned to Whidbey Island Monday for a little vacation all on our own.  With kids back in school and the summer season officially over, the beach is quiet in early September, and yet summer lingers for those who are free to enjoy it.  

We had some foggy mornings and lovely sunny afternoons, starlit nights, and even some record breaking heat.  

I went for power walks in the mornings while Tom worked on projects at the cabin.  In the afternoons we sat and read and I went for beach walks.  I did get the garden weeded and trimmed one morning, and I prepared three evening meals, but that was about the extent of my working.

And of course I took photos. 
 Monday the ferry crossing was slow in dense fog, but the fog had just lifted on sunlight Beach when we arrived about 11:00
 It was the golden hour before I got back to taking photos.  The lagoon had refilled with the incoming time, making wonderful reflections.
 A belted kingfisher was looking for dinner.


 On the bay side, the sun went down, the air began to go pink, and Mt Rainier was lit with alpenglow.





 The next morning the fog was in a battle with the sun.
 The fog won for most of the morning, but the sun overcame it for a lovely afternoon and with the tide still low enough I got out on the tide flats of Useless Bay.





 I had cleaned up the garden that morning after my exercise walk.  With the lavender trimmed, the sedums became the stars, set off by the billowy feather grass.

Tuesday evening was lovely.  I visited the beach later and caught the rosy afterglow.

 And came back over for the moon path in the water and the stars coming out.    It was very balmy and we sat on the deck reading with our lighted tablet and kindle long after sunset.
Wednesday was hot.  I got my walk in early and didn't do much else, including taking photos.  We escaped during the hottest part of the afternoon to a internet coffee shop in Freeland called WiFire Coffee, where we had iced mochas and got connected with email and Facebook.

This morning was foggy again.  I loved the study in gray of this heron in the lagoon.








We were going home in the afternoon, so we did some cleaning up and organizing, and then I made Tom go with me on a walk on the dike and up on the hill behind the lagoon.






 Can you see the heron sitting in the fence over the drainage ditch in the photo below?
 Up on the hill is the Useless Bay Colony and Golf Course, with many lovely homes and yards.  I just took a few fun photos there.

 Back down at lagoon level we wandered out into the wetlands a bit.
 September is a seedy month.

From the dike, the back of the lagoon had subtle beauty in the fog.


 There's our cabin and it's neighbors almost lost in the fog.
When we left about 2:30 the fog still lingered.  We made a stop in Langley but decided we were ready to be home, and headed for the ferry.  Traffic was very slow getting through Seattle, so when got home, unpacked, took care of the lonesome cat, and went out for some dinner, it was dark.  

The days are getting shorter and they say rain might come by Sunday, but we'll take each lovely summer day we have to enjoy even back here at home.

We have Friday breakfast with friends in the morning,  a huge Sounders match at the stadium Friday evening, kids soccer matches on Saturday morning, gardening and catching up to do here at home, and a date in front of the TV for Sunday night football. 

The days may be getting shorter, but they're no less busy!

8 comments:

  1. What great pictures of a beautiful slice of the earth--fog and all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your Whidbey Island pictures, always. But the beautiful sunsets are magnificent. Welcome home, Linda. It didn't get as hot here in Bellingham yesterday (Thursday) as they predicted, but it was plenty hot on Wednesday, and way hotter than I'm used to in the mountains yesterday. I like the mid-70s the very best. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. gorgeous photos-love the fog and the heron! what a fun place to relax and get away!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the fog, and your photos of it and of Whidbey Island are fabulous. September IS a seedy month. I've spent my week trimming and cutting back, but some seedheads I leave for the birds and critters. I didn't realize you had a second garden there to take care of.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely photos, it must have been hard to leave such a beautiful place:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous, gorgeous photos, Linda. Those first couple of photos really look like the mountains are floating in the sky. I always love the mysterious, romantic look of fog.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Even the fog looks beautiful! Love the sunset pictures. There sure a lot of birds out there!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.