Monday, October 7, 2013

Which Camera? Which Device?

(photo by Tom's iPhone)
We had a great time on the Oregon coast last week.  Can you tell where I am?  Yep, I'm eating a Tillamook cheese sandwich at the Tillamook Cheese Factory.  Yes, there was ice cream for dessert after some shopping in the gift shops.  Can you see what I have in my hand?  Yep, it's my new Apple smart phone.  

One reason I have avoided getting a smart phone was because I was afraid I would become addicted to it.  I did.  I was concerned that I would become one of those people who always has her nose in her phone.  I am.

Well, at least that was the case while we were traveling.  There were so many reasons to be checking in - to take quick photos that could be instantly posted on Facebook, to check email and Facebook for responses and to see what "my people" were doing, to check the weather, or get driving directions, etc, etc, etc.

And there was so much to learn!  Looking at my last two posts, I see that they are not up to my usual standard, but I'm pretty pleased with myself that I figured out how to post with my phone!  And I'm pretty impressed with my phone that it could do it!

Let me tell you that blogging on a smart phone is clumsy and difficult.  When it comes to blogging and posting photos, my phone is tricky, my lap top is OK, but nothing beats my desk top.  All of my photos are now stored in my picture library in my good old windows PC, where I can do whatever I want with them, easily.

And there are bunches of photos, of course.  Some were taken with the iPhones, some with my little Canon Powershot, and some with my big Nikon 35 mm.  How to decide?  I carried my phone in my pocket some of the time, I used my Canon when I was going for long walks, and I used the Nikon for serious photo shooting.  I'm not sure you can tell the difference unless you want to enlarge or print the photos.  

Here is a review of our trip in photos with some commentary.  It's mostly about sky and sea at the coast.

After driving through lots of rain on the way, we arrived on the coast to find clearing skies.
                             ( iPhone, above and below)


The severe storms over the weekend had left mounds of sea foam on the beach.
Cormorants don't usually hang out on the beach. I think these were still stunned after the storm.
                                                          (Canon Powershot zoom)
That evening we were treated to a wonderful sunset which I captured down the beach, between the Twin Rocks.


                       (above and below - Nikon )
Wednesday was cloudy with heavy rain squalls.  That's when we went to the cheese factory, along with a lot of other shopping and browsing.

I did get a beach walk in later in the day, but I also got caught out there in that squall you see in the photo above.  
The sun managed to find one small hole to shine through on it's way into the sea, and then the sky let loose with a squall that roared with rain.

But then in the morning, clear blue sky!

We were off to wheeler to do some antiquing.
And enjoy the scenery on Nehalem Bay.

We did a lot of exploring, and got back to the cabin for a long afternoon of beach walking, browsing shops in Rockaway, and eating ice cream in the sunshine.  The sunset on Thursday was subtle.
Friday was another beautiful day.  I was out on the beach to greet the sun as it came up over the coastal mountains, casting long shadows and lighting up the Rocks.

This was Tom's day, his birthday, and we started on the Tillamook Bay jetty at Barview.

 We drove around the bay to Bay Ocean for another beach walk.

And then we drove on down the coast to Oceanside for lunch at Roseanne's, followed by another beach walk that took us through the tunnel in the headland.
 And out the other end.

We had dinner that night at Pirates cove and caught the sunset on the way home over the bay.  And then my Nikon and I went out to capture the lingering show.

 Saturday was another beautiful day, but we were due to return home.  We cleaned the cabin, packed up, and headed north up the coast.  We stopped in Astoria at the Bow Picker for lunch, waiting in a long line for the famous fish and chips, with warm sunshine and with a great view of the Columbia River.  
We headed inland up the Columbia River to the crossing at Longview and back into Washington State.  From there it was smooth driving the remaining two hours to Seattle and home.
                                         (iPhone photo through car windshield)
And there you have it.  We've been busy since we got back, of course, with more family birthday celebrating, groceries to gather, laundry, catching up with stuff.  But we already had our email read, thanks to the new phones!

Tom got the Air Rave phone signal booster installed, and now the phones work great in our house too.

But I promise, Facebook friends, I will not be posting five times a day now.  We're home, and back to the ordinary, though hardly ever boring.

9 comments:

  1. You are a techie for sure! I enjoyed all your photos! I love the Oregon Coast, have not been there for a few years. My brother lives in Oregon part time and Oklahoma part time:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an exceptional collection of photos, and the device you used for each hardly matters. I love the beautiful Oregon coast!

    ReplyDelete
  3. gorgeous photos, love the long legged shadow! and the sunsets. What a lovely vacation despite the rain or because of the rain. We have had to get an i-phone but one day...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love all your pictures! I went on a hike Sunday (instead of skydiving since I've got several days of it ahead this week) and took pictures with my iPhone and camera, and I have to say my iPhone captures the clouds incredibly well! Welcome home, and I think we can all tell when you have posted from home because the quality is better, but it's always appreciated to see your smiling "face" show up in my blog roll! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stunning! Such a gorgeous area...takes my breath away.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very nice photos, Linda, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Another wonderful trip! I love a good road/ferry trip you seem to know all of the best places. Happy belated birthday to Tom. I hope it was his best 29th birthday ever!

    ReplyDelete
  8. P.S. I often wonder about which camera/device to use. Your sunset pictures are especially stunning! So many choices. I also resisted getting a cell phone of any sort but my Tom gave me a smart phone so, like you, I'm addicted. Love the word game "What's the Phrase."

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.